Wily Mo Pena - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wily Mo Pena

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:50 pm

Real nice to see this kid finally getting some playing time, even if it comes at the hand of his teamates getting injured. If he didn't sign a major league contract, Pena would be better right now as he would of been able to play in the minors more and you all would of heard a lot about him too. He basically would of been a big time/elite prospect that everyone would be waiting for. Instead he HAS to be on the majors, where until now due to injuries he gets barely any playing time.

If your talking about potential, Pena has more then Guillen. Pena's power can rival anyones in the majors right now, it's just a matter of him getting playing time and learning the strike zone. Both of which he has been improving a lot lately. Also, if you talk to his teamates and coaches, Pena has been doing nothing but working and trying to learn as much as he can. Great attitude for a young kid that is taking advantage of his time right now.

Personally BigLebowski, I'm not sure what your talking about when you say Pena doesn't have a lot of talent. Also if you have been watching him, I would think you would know he has performed much better when he is playing every day. Just look at what he is doing now and what he did at the end of last year.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigLebowski » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:02 am

I said he has talent, I just don't think he has the talent that most people seem to think he has. I also said he is putting up better stats now that he is playing full time.

In the past when he was given an everyday position he wasn't able to produce. This is the first time he has produced.

I also know is a young kid, but I've been watching him since he's been in the Reds organization and I don't believe he has the talent that everyone has always said he has.

I may be wrong, I'm just giving my opinion. Grab him if you want and I hope he does good for ya. ;-D
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby pomplona's finest » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:04 am

Wily Mo is no Guillen.

He has talent, but not alot of it. I'd only consider him if you are really desperate. I had him for a two week span and he rewarded me with a 1-28 no HR and no RBI's.
Granted he now has a more fulltime job, but I've been watching him for the last two years and the last month is really the only time he has shown the promise everyone thought he had.

yep
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby benjapage » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:14 am

wily mo is the man. maybe not this year (still swinging at some questionable pitches, but more rarely than last year), but in a couple years, he'll be a monster.

chris chambliss is a great hitting coach.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby hybrid » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:15 am

BigLebowski wrote:I said he has talent, I just don't think he has the talent that most people seem to think he has. I also said he is putting up better stats now that he is playing full time.

In the past when he was given an everyday position he wasn't able to produce. This is the first time he has produced.

I also know is a young kid, but I've been watching him since he's been in the Reds organization and I don't believe he has the talent that everyone has always said he has.

I may be wrong, I'm just giving my opinion. Grab him if you want and I hope he does good for ya. ;-D

I never wrote anything about you saying he didn't have talent, I said I don't know how you can think he doesn't have "a lot" of talent.

Show me in the past where he got a full time job and didn't produce. You can't because this is only his 2nd chance to play full time. The only other time he got a shot was at the end of last year when pretty much the whole Reds OF was hurt. He hit .273 that month in 88 AB's with 5 hr's and 12 rbi's. He also had a much better BB/K ratio that month (8/24).

I would expect better knowledge from someone that has watched him more. :-b
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Spokes » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:43 am

Wily Mo was a top Yankee prospect a few years ago when they traded him to Cincy for Denny Neagle. They said that he was an excellent 5-tool player, so he definately has the talent and at only 22, he has the upside. I'd definately pick him up. He's been picked up in my league and is doing well...I hate that because I am in second and he was picked up by the 1st team.
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:58 am

Actually, he was traded to the Reds in the Drew Henson deal that also involved M. Coleman (basically a nobody).
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Spokes » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:21 am

hybrid wrote:Actually, he was traded to the Reds in the Drew Henson deal that also involved M. Coleman (basically a nobody).

Yes, I know, I just wanted to mention that Wily Mo was in that deal. Wily Mo, Drew Henson and someone else for Denny Neagle. Hey, how did that work out????
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Willie "Mo potential" Pena

Postby pbeall100281 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:05 am

BigLebowski wrote:I said he has talent, I just don't think he has the talent that most people seem to think he has. I also said he is putting up better stats now that he is playing full time.

Pena is decent and has great potential which he seems to be showing now. Ask anyone from Vegas or someone who is familiar with the type of information they use. Screw what rotowire and ESPN say about him.
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:32 am

I love Wily and he is killin for me in my deep NL Only keeper league and I am definitely using one of my 7 keeper spots on him. He is not mixed league quality yet though unless you are really desparate.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers