Wily Mo Pena - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wily Mo Pena

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wily Mo Pena

Postby wannabthechamp » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:30 pm

What does everyone think of this guy? He went 2 for 2 today with a walk and hit his 12th HR of the year in just 169 at bats. Will he keep this up?
"I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany. - Ron Burgundy
wannabthechamp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wily Mo Pena

Postby slomo007 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:47 pm

wannabthechamp wrote:What does everyone think of this guy? He went 2 for 2 today with a walk and hit his 12th HR of the year in just 169 at bats. Will he keep this up?

He's a legit young OFer who just needs a place to play. Think of him as this year's Jose Guillen (who coinidentally also played for the Reds). They bring similar tools to the table, but Pena has a much higher upside.

If you need an OFer in a deep mixed or definitely NL Only league, give him a chance.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby BigLebowski » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:01 pm

Wily Mo is no Guillen.

He has talent, but not alot of it. I'd only consider him if you are really desperate. I had him for a two week span and he rewarded me with a 1-28 no HR and no RBI's.
Granted he now has a more fulltime job, but I've been watching him for the last two years and the last month is really the only time he has shown the promise everyone thought he had.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 467)

Postby joshheines » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:14 pm

You act like Wily Mo is an old man. He is only 22 and has never had a chance at a full-time gig. He definitely has 30+ HR potential with a .280 AVG. As long as Griffey and the other Reds OF are injured I'd give him a shot in deep leagues. He'll be close to #1 on my list for sleepers next year.
It's easy, fun, and 100% safe!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby slomo007 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:00 pm

joshheines wrote:You act like Wily Mo is an old man. He is only 22 and has never had a chance at a full-time gig. He definitely has 30+ HR potential with a .280 AVG. As long as Griffey and the other Reds OF are injured I'd give him a shot in deep leagues. He'll be close to #1 on my list for sleepers next year.

Yep, Willy Mo has more potential than Guillen, trust me.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby DaveClay12 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:15 pm

Worth using #3 waiver priority on (in a very deep league where, besides SP where I have injuries, OF is my weakness)?
DaveClay12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WhiteHot » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:26 pm

Would you drop David Bell for Willy Mo?

Deep league (I have Chavez, Figgins, and Mora who can play 3B).
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby perlick29 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:10 pm

WhiteHot wrote:Would you drop David Bell for Willy Mo?

Deep league (I have Chavez, Figgins, and Mora who can play 3B).

I think I would, just want to know who else you have in the OF.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:46 pm

DaveClay12 wrote:Worth using #3 waiver priority on (in a very deep league where, besides SP where I have injuries, OF is my weakness)?

Don't use your waiver on him...most people don't know about him, not yet anyways.

Just make sure to grab him when/if he clears waivers. Kearns is out for a while still, and we all know Griffey, so he'll find his playing time. He's going to be a great power OFer someday.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby thehat » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:23 pm

Big time prospect who is starting to figure things out. Will still be prone to ugly slumps, but once this kid learns the strike zone, he could be very good. Tons of power, and he can also run.

Tough decision for Daveclay. There's no way the guy will slip thru waivers to the FA pool in a deep league, assuming there are some reasonably sharp owners that have little reason to hold on to a lesser waiver priority. If it were #1 or #2 waiver, I'd definitely keep it and wait for one of the can't miss kids. But at #3, Pena becomes more tempting. Personally, I don't use it, but I understand the dilemma.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers