Trading Injured Players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Trading Injured Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Bukoski77 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:01 am

I wouldnt object because I believe the owner should be aware of any players most up to the date status they can get before accepting a trade.

I think it is wrong to do so however, even though I wouldnt object.

On another funny note that pertains to this thread, a few years ago I played in a 10 team H-H AL only league. We had that one owner who always offered stupid trades like his 3 scrubs for your Pedro type ripoffs. He would never pull those trades off the board even weeks after you ignored them.

After the All-Star break, one of the superstuds he was trying to aquire got injured. The owner immediately clicked on the accept button to give his done for the year injured player away.

The owner that offered the lopsided deal petioned the league to veto the trade. Every other owner was disgusted with his annoying 2-3 2nd tier player for our superstud trade offers though. For some reason nobody objected to that trade :-D .

I dont object because it is each owners responsibility to be aware of injuries. Sometimes the owners that attempt that get their fair due however ;-D .
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:10 am

Bukoski77 wrote:I wouldnt object because I believe the owner should be aware of any players most up to the date status they can get before accepting a trade.

I think it is wrong to do so however, even though I wouldnt object.

On another funny note that pertains to this thread, a few years ago I played in a 10 team H-H AL only league. We had that one owner who always offered stupid trades like his 3 scrubs for your Pedro type ripoffs. He would never pull those trades off the board even weeks after you ignored them.

After the All-Star break, one of the superstuds he was trying to aquire got injured. The owner immediately clicked on the accept button to give his done for the year injured player away.

The owner that offered the lopsided deal petioned the league to veto the trade. Every other owner was disgusted with his annoying 2-3 2nd tier player for our superstud trade offers though. For some reason nobody objected to that trade :-D .

I dont object because it is each owners responsibility to be aware of injuries. Sometimes the owners that attempt that get their fair due however ;-D .

Lol, that's pretty funny.
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pomplona's finest » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:39 am

Well it seems so far the opinions are pretty split.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Re: Trading Injured Players

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:39 pm

blankman wrote:
pomplona's finest wrote:sorry if this is in the wrong forum, didn't know where to put it

But anyways, in fantasy sports is it fair and morally right to trade a player right after you hear of him getting injured in hopes the other person doesn't know? I mean is it breaking the "fantasy etiquette code" to use your knowledge against someone else's ignorance?

IMO it is "immoral" if you propose the deal right after the guy gets hurt, hoping to take advantage of the other owner. If a player gets hurt after it is accepted (while an accepted trade is pending) however, its pretty much tough luck.

I agree. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Rico The Retard » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:03 pm

i always trade my injured players away to some sucker in my league that doesnt read up on news in baseball so i get some good deals out of this guy because i have trade richie sexson troy glaus and mark prior all this year to him in exchange for hank blalock ben sheets and david ortiz

hahhahahahahaha
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby matmat » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:14 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:i always trade my injured players away to some sucker in my league that doesnt read up on news in baseball so i get some good deals out of this guy because i have trade richie sexson troy glaus and mark prior all this year to him in exchange for hank blalock ben sheets and david ortiz

hahhahahahahaha

this further demonstrates that it is immoral, right?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:40 pm

It is unethical to try to take advantage of someone who doesn't know that the player being offered is injured.

2 years ago in one of my hockey pools the Pavel Bure owner heard about his season ending knee injury and immediately offered him to the other 11 owners in fair deals (fair if Bure was not injured). The news had not yet hit Sportsline but I saw it on SportsCenter and posted the news on the league home page.

Everyone agreed that the Bure owner was a slimeball and he was blackballed for the rest of the season - everybody else refused to deal with him.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Rico The Retard » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:49 pm

who cares about your stupid hockey this is fantasy baseball forums
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:50 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:who cares about your stupid hockey this is fantasy baseball forums

wow - a gentleman and a scholar.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby matmat » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:51 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:It is unethical to try to take advantage of someone who doesn't know that the player being offered is injured.

Yes. I agree.

There are two possible scenarios though, and I believe that both are quite unethical.

1) player gets injured and manager tries to trade him before others find out. Quite unethical, but if a manager accepts the deal it is his/her own fault. Do a little research before you click "accept."

2) A deal has been proposed on day 1, say, Stud A for GoodPlayer B and GoodPlayer C. Manager with player A takes a day or two to ponder the trade. On day 3 player A crashes into the outfield wall and breaks both his legs. The manager immediately clicks the "accept button" getting B and C on his team before the other manager can withdraw the offer. This, I believe, is a much worse offense.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk