Olerud designated for assignment - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

Olerud designated for assignment

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Olerud designated for assignment

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:29 am

In the first step before outright releasing him, the Mariners designated John Olerud for assignment yesterday.

The 36 year old was hitting .245 with 5 HR and 22 RBI.

Remember back in 1998 when he was challenging Ted Williams record as the last player to hit .400 - Toronto papers kept a daily watch on the front page. He finished the year at .375, not bad.

happy trails John - please retire.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LCBOY » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:15 pm

Actually, it was 1993 and he ended up at .363. He was above .400 on August 2nd, though. The the latest anyone has been over .400 since George Brett in 1980. Brett was over .400 until September 18th! :-B
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rirruto » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:08 am

Even though he only played 3 seasons with the Mets, I am still a big fan of John Olerud. Great contact hitter and run producer. Also a great fielder. Anyone still remember the infield of Robin Ventura, Rey Ordonez, Edgardo Alfonzo, and John Olerud?? Regarded as one of the best infields ever, I think 3 out of 4 of them got Gold Gloves that year.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Tavish » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:32 am

Regarded as one of the best infields ever, I think 3 out of 4 of them got Gold Gloves that year.

I think they only won two that year. I don't believe Olerud won any NL gold gloves and Alfonso never won any. Still a very good infield, not sure how many infields have actually ever won more than two. The Alomar/Vizquel/Fryman Indians maybe or the Robinson/Adair/Aparicio Orioles.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby LCBOY » Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:41 am

Olerud was one of the few players to never play in the minor leagues. The only others I can think of are Jim Abbott, Dave Winfield, and Bob Horner
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:45 am

He's playing in the minors now though ;-)

Xavier Nady also went straight to the majors. It's yet to be seen if he'll be any good though.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:41 am

LCBOY wrote:Actually, it was 1993 and he ended up at .363. He was above .400 on August 2nd, though. The the latest anyone has been over .400 since George Brett in 1980. Brett was over .400 until September 18th! :-B

sorry - typo

that's what you get for typing with a squirming 5 month old in your arms
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:43 am

LBJackal wrote:He's playing in the minors now though ;-)

Xavier Nady also went straight to the majors. It's yet to be seen if he'll be any good though.

Nady started in the majors - but got sent down to the minors afterwards.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby frog99 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:59 pm

It never works out when players go straight to the majors, their games always still has holes in it that they are never able to fix with the pressure of the majors, though olerud did have a pretty fine career.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LCBOY » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:54 pm

frog99 wrote:It never works out when players go straight to the majors, their games always still has holes in it that they are never able to fix with the pressure of the majors, though olerud did have a pretty fine career.

Well, I would never say never. :-D I thought Dave Winfield had a pretty ok career, wouldn't you say? :-)
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball History