Charles Thomas = Boy Wonder - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Charles Thomas = Boy Wonder

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Charles Thomas = Boy Wonder

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:52 pm

this dude is mashing the ball and getting all of the right bounces. i think that the braves announcers said that he has only struck out 4 times since playing for the braves.

he was hitting almost .370 in the international league...

here is a nice story on him... ;-D

Thomas having 'awesome time' with the Braves
By Bob Berghaus, Sports editor
July 14, 2004 11:06 p.m.

Charles Thomas realized he was in a different world when he received meal money for the first time from the Atlanta Braves.

"That money was more than any two-week check I ever got in the minor leagues," said Thomas, the former Asheville High and Western Carolina University star who will continue his major-league career tonight in Atlanta when the Braves host the Montreal Expos.

Major-league meal money is $77.50 per day on the road, or $57.50 more per day than he was receiving in Class AAA. Thomas was also given that amount for each of his first seven home games when he was staying in an Atlanta hotel. That 12-day amount of $930 was bigger than the $837 he was receiving every two weeks from the Richmond Braves before he was called up to the big club at the end of last month.

By the way, the major-league minimum salary is $300,000, which means Thomas is earning about $1,850 for every game he dresses in the majors.

"It's like a different life, said Thomas by phone Wednesday night. "Somebody takes care of everything and if he can't, then they find somebody who can."

Thomas is enjoying his new life. He's hitting .348 with 16 hits in 46 at-bats. Of those hits, nine are for extra bases - four doubles, two triples and three home runs - which has contributed to Thomas' .717 slugging percentage.

More important to Thomas is that the Braves have been winning. When he joined them June 23 in time for their road game against Florida, the Braves lost and dropped to 6 1/2 games behind the leading Marlins. They were in fourth in the National League East and floundering. But the Braves have turned around since then, with help from Thomas.

Since that loss, they've won 13 of 17 games to improve to 45-42 and move into second place, one game behind the Philadelphia Phillies, who felt the sting of Thomas' bat last Saturday. He hit two home runs in leading Atlanta to a 4-0 victory.

"Honestly, the biggest thrill was just being able to help us to win the game after we had lost the night before," he said. "We had let one get away and it was disappointing. So it was a big game for us and I was happy to contribute."

He had similar comments about his first major-league homer, a two-run shot that came July 7 in a 14-2 victory over the Expos in Puerto Rico.

"Honestly, I didn't think too much of it," he said. "I was more happy that it gave us a 2-0 lead."

Thomas does have the ball he hit for his first big-league dinger.

"Eddie Perez helped me get it," said Thomas of his teammate. "It was pretty cool. Eddie had me sign a couple of balls for it."

It's conceivable the Braves could send Thomas back to the minors, but given his hot bat and the fact his arrival coincided with the team's turnaround, he's likely to stick. Thomas says he's not concerned about that. He's just thrilled the Braves are winning and he's been able to contribute.

"I've been having an awesome time," he said.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Super GM » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:52 pm

And he's been very awesome for the Braves too. He went 2-3 again tonight and uís batting .367 since being called up from AAA Richmond....Í guess Dewayne won't be back in Atlanta when he returns from the DL.....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pedantic » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:41 pm

Yeehaw, we now have a tie for first in the NL East. Never count out dem Braves, biatch! ;-) :-D
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:46 pm

Pedantic wrote:Yeehaw, we now have a tie for first in the NL East. Never count out dem Braves, biatch! ;-) :-D

The Braves have been raping the Expos. We'll see how long this lasts. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Krunk City King$ » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:44 am

Super GM wrote:Í guess Dewayne won't be back in Atlanta when he returns from the DL.....

;-D

DeWayne Wise - Outfielder

Braves activated outfielder Dewayne Wise from the 15-day disabled list and optioned him to Triple-A Richmond.
Wise played about as well as should have been expected before getting hurt last month, batting .238/.268/.443 in 122 AB. The play of Charles Thomas made him expendable. Jul. 15 - 6:07 pm et
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Super GM » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:59 am

Didn't I tell ya?! Charles Thomas was great again last night. No need for Dewayne...And the Braves are back in first where they belong! ;-D
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:52 pm

Super GM wrote:Didn't I tell ya?! Charles Thomas was great again last night. No need for Dewayne...And the Braves are back in first where they belong! ;-D

dood, aren't you a mets fan??

8-o
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pedantic » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:01 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Pedantic wrote:Yeehaw, we now have a tie for first in the NL East. Never count out dem Braves, biatch! ;-) :-D

The Braves have been raping the Expos. We'll see how long this lasts. :-D

They have also won 13 out of 17 since June 25th, including series wins against the Red Sox, Phils, and Florida. Once the Braves take sole possession of the NL East lead, they will never relinquish it! :-D
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby wake » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:42 pm

He's hitting .400 now. Even though it's only 55 AB, it's impressive considering he was also hitting .358 in 215 AB in the minors this year.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby benjapage » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:49 pm

a better bet than erstad? both have been clubbing the ball, but down the stretch, who do you expect to pull out better numbers? i have yet to see this thomas fellow.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers