Will Thome get better? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Thome get better?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Thome get better?

Postby messenjah » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:37 am

It's hard to think that Jim Thome can get better than he's hitting now, but, he's always been known for his second half hitting. Is this year any different, and if he gets better than he already is, will he a) win the MVP, and b) carry his team to the playoffs? Basically, is he a sell high, or buy low?
messenjah
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chinch sacs » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:53 am

Thome hasn't been ALL THAT good lately...

In the the last month his numbers look like this:

22/94 (.234) 21 R, 10 HR, 21 RBI, 0 SB

So I hope the rest did him good, but didnt he play in the Allstar game AND the HR Durby?
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Rirruto » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:57 am

I don't see why he can't continue his great production. He's just been a complete monster the past few seasons. As for the playoffs, one player cannot carry a whole team to the postseason. Their pitching has to get their act together if they want to get ahead in the tight NL East.
Last edited by Rirruto on Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby messenjah » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:00 am

Rirruto wrote:I don't see why he can't continue his great production. He's just been a complete monster the past few seasons. As for the playoffs, one player cannot carry a whole team to the postseason. There pitching has to get their act together if they want to get ahead in the tight NL East.

Well, obviously not, but if he puts up numbers like that, with Abreu and Burrell in the same lineup, I don't see how they can fall. This is just assuming he gets better than the first half, where he is still the homerun leader by a good few homeruns.
messenjah
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rirruto » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:12 am

messenjah wrote:Well, obviously not, but if he puts up numbers like that, with Abreu and Burrell in the same lineup, I don't see how they can fall.

You're still ignoring the fact that they're pitching sucks. This is a team who's "ace" has an ERA over 5. Also features 3 other starting pitchers with ERAs over 4.71 and Padilla coming off the DL looks nowhere imminent.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:40 am

Thome will not win the MVP and will not carry his team to the playoffs IMO. I'm still expecting a monster second half but if the BA starts to dip a little I won't be terribly surprised.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:17 pm

i actually think Thome is showing some signs of a slight decline as a hitter this year... but anyways, the circumstances are a lot better than last year.. the ballpark is tailormade for him. Abreu and Burrell are both having better seasons. so i think he'll be able to finish the year at his current pace but i wont look for him to get better.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:20 pm

the phillies are my pick to make the playoffs as of now. all of their pitchers can only improve over their current performance and their offense is better than last year. most importantly they dont have Mesa anymore. :-°

the Marlins i dont think they have enough offense and Pavano and Penny should slow down a lil after their first halfs. their only hope is for Beckett and Burnett to get back to full health and go on a total tear.

the Mets are playing very well but again i dont expect the pitching to hold up as it is. their chances depend on who they can acquire.

Braves- dont wanna count 'em out, but- Bobby Cox. Giles and Chipper are should be strong in the second half. anything can happen. it'll be a pretty close division tho.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:20 pm

Amazinz wrote:Thome will not win the MVP and will not carry his team to the playoffs IMO. I'm still expecting a monster second half but if the BA starts to dip a little I won't be terribly surprised.

Same here. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers