Larry Walker - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Larry Walker

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Larry Walker

Postby rmeesig » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:18 pm

He's come back STRONG. ok, only 45ABs - but he's absolutely crushing the ball...

Think he'll stay healthy? Is he worth a UTIL spot for games at Coors? There's talk he'll be traded as well...will this help/hurt his value?

Thanks...
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Larry Walker

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:29 pm

rmeesig wrote:He's come back STRONG. ok, only 45ABs - but he's absolutely crushing the ball...

Think he'll stay healthy? Is he worth a UTIL spot for games at Coors? There's talk he'll be traded as well...will this help/hurt his value?

Thanks...

I picked him off waivers and have been using him as a UT or fill-in OF when he plays at Coors. He probably will get hurt again but I'll ride him until then. He is a good enough hitter that he will succeed wherever he goes. It's just a matter of how long he'll last. I wouldn't trade for him and if I got a decent offer I'd trade him off in a heartbeat.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:31 pm

Hes only useful at Coors, a trade will make him borderline FA list.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Rirruto » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:32 pm

I picked him up as well because we all know how good he is when he is healthy. You just have to watch out for the occasional day that he will get off to conserve his health
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby vladrules » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:31 pm

Grabbed him as well but he's been so-so since the CLE game. Hope he keeps it up. What do you think about Preston. He's been a little better than L.Walker if you take out the CLE game.
vladrules
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rirruto » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:36 pm

vladrules wrote:Grabbed him as well but he's been so-so since the CLE game. Hope he keeps it up. What do you think about Preston. He's been a little better than L.Walker if you take out the CLE game.

No he hasn't. Larry Walker is hitting .306 with 4 HR and 12 RBI in 18 games while Preston Wilson is batting .232 with 2 HR and 16 RBI in 27 games. Walker's OPS is at 1.235 while Preston is half that at .640
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby vladrules » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:46 pm

Thanks for the correction.
vladrules
General Manager
General Manager

Postby irishdude103 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:49 pm

i picked him up and trading him for B Giles
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thehat » Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:33 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Hes only useful at Coors, a trade will make him borderline FA list.

Could not disagree more. Aside from last season when he was basically injured all season, Walker has produced everywhere. The only drawback to owning Walker is that he's almost sure to sit a couple games weekly due to advancing age and the health history. But if Walker can avoid getting hurt, he's still one helluva hitter and is an asset. His value increases in any Yahoo league where owners have the ability to start/bench right up till game time.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Precise » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:08 pm

thehat wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Hes only useful at Coors, a trade will make him borderline FA list.

Could not disagree more. Aside from last season when he was basically injured all season, Walker has produced everywhere. The only drawback to owning Walker is that he's almost sure to sit a couple games weekly due to advancing age and the health history. But if Walker can avoid getting hurt, he's still one helluva hitter and is an asset. His value increases in any Yahoo league where owners have the ability to start/bench right up till game time.

yep. walker is a dangerous hitter anyway you look at it. his career average on the road is still a respectable .280 for god sakes. his years of being a prolific power hitter (he'll still jack a few tho) are over but there is no question that he can still hit and as long as he is in the middle of the rockies line-up, he'll score, drive in runs, and hit for a high average as well as get you that occasional steal.
Precise
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers