Runelvys Hernandez????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Runelvys Hernandez?????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Runelvys Hernandez?????

Postby Wildcats » Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:43 pm

Where'd this guy come from? I picked him up after he won his first game, 'cause I needed another SP, and his stats were good. He's done great since then, winning 2 more. Does any one know if he has the potential to keep this going/ have a good win count at the end?
Wildcats
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:21 pm

I think that people may be getting a little too excited about him. So far, KC has had a very easy schedule, and hasn't played most of the stronger teams, leading to their 9-1 record. In fact, other than Sweeney and Beltran, their offense is anemic at best. That means that even if he keeps pitching like that, he will have a hard time winning more than 10-12 games. I also think there will be some fall off and wouldn't count on him as any more than a 6th or 7th starter in the long haul.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby drunkenmonkey » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:43 am

I picked him up in all three of my leagues. The guy is good. Even if the Royals do return to their old ways, someone has to pick up the wins they got with Paul Byrd -- why not him? In my leagues, we start seven pitchers and he is definitely good enough to be in the top 72 in the league. And as for anemic offenses, I would rate the White Sox as having pretty good offensive potential and he shut them down. Granted the Indians and Tigers are anemic, but guess who the Royals will play a lot this year. The American League Central is weak and Hernandez is a good pick
It's time to roll the dice.
drunkenmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby jdh » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:01 am

Yeah, I agree that he's a great sleeper and perfect as a 6th or 7th starter, as I said above. I just said that you probably shouldn't count on him as your ace or even in your top three pitchers.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:06 am

It's not like he came out of nowhere. He was solid during the 2nd half last year. I can't be the only one who was at least looking at him after last year. Securing the #1 SP slot during spring training only solidifed interest.

I still wouldn't be comfortable leaving him in my line-up every start, but he deserves a roster spot when throwing well. If he tanks it or gets injured, he's not a guy you 'must keep' on your roster. He is an option, sometimes a nice option, but not a sure fire stud.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Wildcats » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:04 pm

He's my fifth starter. The others are Lowe, Mussina, Colon, Halladay. Still keep him?
Wildcats
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jdh » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:06 pm

Yeah, I think he is a solid risk as a #5 starter although I would bench him when he plays teams like the Yankees and A's or when he plays in Texas.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Wildcats » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:08 pm

Sounds good. Thanks!

Why bench aganist Texas????
Wildcats
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:10 pm

I'd also keep him for the time being. You might want to check with the guys in the Royals forum for a local opinion, too.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jdh » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:13 pm

I didn't say bench against Texas, I said bench in Texas. The stadium in Arlington is known as one of the most batter-friendly parks in the majors, probably behind Coors and Enron. Also, especially in the summer, the searing heat tends to wear pitchers down resulting in offensive games. Finally, although the Rangers pitching is terrible, they have a super potent offense that can really kill you, with ARod, Palmeiro, Gonzalez.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers