a guy has given up halfway - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

a guy has given up halfway

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

a guy has given up halfway

Postby jpusl19 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:21 pm

A guy in our league has stopped playing for the rest of the year, and we were thinking of the best route to that. I was thinking to allow the league to redraft his team either on reverse standings or reverse draft positioning. Would the commissioner in a yahoo league be allowed to expand roster size and possibly add an extra utility position or two? Has anybody ever experienced a league where people start quiting?
jpusl19
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BGbootha » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:25 pm

Has anybody ever experienced a league where people start quiting?

every year there are one or two. But unfortunately there isn't really much you can do. If his team is still in tact. THe best route we have had, is allow the commish to make his roster the best he thinks it can and then leave it at that. You can't really take him out of the game, and there is no way to change the settings of the league once it has started (or atleast i don't know of one).

It sucks, but as long as everyone left agrees on what to do. Make the best of it.

:-t on quiters
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kingsac » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:08 pm

man oh man. We have had 4 quiters and replaced them all but this last time. I think we should redraft the team in reverse standings just to make the second half more interesting (yes im losing). Plus it may make the other owners stick around a year if they think they have a legitamate shot at next year. Better than letting Prior sit on the bench for the rest of the year.
A's all wAyS
Kingsac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZF » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:11 pm

Even in very competitive leagues you will get 1 or 2 guys that give up. It is a fact of fantasy baseball life. Nothing you can or should do about it.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brdmaverick » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:22 pm

Look, if the guy didn't quit then how would that change YOUR team? It wouldn't. I don't see why it should be any different just because the guy did quit.

I think a redraft would be unfair. Some are going to make out better than others in the draft. Adding an extra utility spot would be changing the rules while you are midway through the season.

Sure it sucks to have a quitter, but as mentioned earlier, just have the commish play the guy's best possible lineup. It will still be like having an owner, just a very inactive one.

I had two quitters in my league last year, and sure it sucked, cuz they had some guys that I was looking to trade for. But at least if I wasn't going to get those guys, then no one else was, which is very fair.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:35 pm

If he really quit, then maybe the commish could take over his team and get a new owner. If he can't, then it depends on league type. It is more of a problem in H2H.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby jpusl19 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:11 pm

yes it's a h2h, 8 person yahoo league
jpusl19
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:15 pm

At this point in the season it would be unfair to redraft his team unless you are at the exact mid-point of the season. Otherwise you'll have teams who played him twice already getting the shaft. Even if you are at the mid-point redrafting a whole team's roster can really unbalance the league. I would just set the roster so there are no gaping holes and then lock it and leave it.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jebatzel » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:16 am

I benched a guy's team because he quit.

that way no one was fighting over his players.
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:22 am

Just set his roster to the best it can be an leave it. Nothing else would be fair.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers