Fantasia Barino butchers national anthem - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Fantasia Barino butchers national anthem

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:42 pm

Well if they sing the Canadian anthem too, then they'd have to sing the Mexican anthem, Domincan Republic anthem etc. IMO for the All-Star game, in a US city, the US anthem is all that should be played.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zepfan » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:25 pm

Except that they DID sing the Canadian anthem at the game. They just didn't show it on Fox. It doesn't surprise me with Fox anyway, though. I'm sure they're not often accused of being a "classy" network. Besides, if it doesn't get ratings, it won't be on the air.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:33 pm

Why would they have to sing all the anthems? There are two countries that have teams, both of those countries' national anthems were sung.

I hope they black out the US national anthem at the NHL All-Star game next year.... if there is one. Hell, all the players are Canadian, why not?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Hey » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:38 pm

LBJackal wrote:Why would they have to sing all the anthems? There are two countries that have teams, both of those countries' national anthems were sung.

I hope they black out the US national anthem at the NHL All-Star game next year.... if there is one. Hell, all the players are Canadian, why not?

Calm down. Fox is Fox.....they are inhumane...i wouldnt worry about it or think anything less of America.
Hey. Go Mets!!
Hey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:15 am

True... FOX isn't really respectful. I never liked them after their special on "Slow Kids, Fast Animals".

Just stating my opinion that both anthems shoudl be sugn and broadcast. Why even sing the anthem if only a bunch of Houstonians are going to hear it?

(BTW - did you know that in NYC Houston isn't pronounced "Hughes-tun", it's pronounced "House-tun"? My cab driver told me.... that's weird)

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:27 am

Hey wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Why would they have to sing all the anthems? There are two countries that have teams, both of those countries' national anthems were sung.

Calm down. Fox is Fox.....they are inhumane...i wouldnt worry about it or think anything less of America.

Why? Because they are the only station that doesn't spew Liberalism, ragging on any little thing Bush or Cheney says or does or doesn't do while ignoring the many faults in the other two candidates history- flip-flop voting, both Kerry and Edwards' schemes of avoiding paying large portions of their taxes, Edwards' history as a trial lawyer, a cowardice to take a firm stand on a single issue, a lack of an actual platform other than "we hate Bush and we'll change our minds if we happened to agree with him in the past?" Its all downright sad

Given the media's coverage and Moore's movie (anyone who calls it a documentary needs their head checked; its a piece of propoganda formed by taking anything and everything out of context to shape one's own history), its a wonder the Democrats don't have a huge lead in the polls.

I apologize that this is political, but when someone says something this ignorant, something needs to be said. :-°

As for the NHL being all Canadian, I'll assume you were joking but ever heard of Europeans? :-?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Hey » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:29 am

...ok..... :-D
Hey. Go Mets!!
Hey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:29 am

LBJackal wrote:Just stating my opinion that both anthems shoudl be sugn and broadcast. Why even sing the anthem if only a bunch of Houstonians are going to hear it?

I'll agree with that I guess, but are we sure that it was sung and not broadcast?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby LBJackal » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:33 am

Yeah there are lots of Europeans, but most players are Canadian. I was just saying what if the shoe was on the other foot and your beloved Star Spangled Banner wasn't sung during the NHL All-Star game just because there are not many Americans in the NHL compared to other nationalities.

As for FOX being inhumane, I don't think it was meant in a political way. It seemed to me to be meant in a "they show any trashy show that'll get attention" kind of way. Their standards are obviously very low. But nice rant nonetheless :-b I agree about that phony documentary being filled with propaganda.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:05 am

LBJackal wrote:Yeah there are lots of Europeans, but most players are Canadian. I was just saying what if the shoe was on the other foot and your beloved Star Spangled Banner wasn't sung during the NHL All-Star game just because there are not many Americans in the NHL compared to other nationalities.

Point taken, but when the majority of the league is based in the USA the anthem will always be sung.

I'll say this now, I'm fine with the singing of anthems of countries that have teams based there, but to sing for anywhere else (for example Japan) is just not right.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk