Jim(m)y Williams Fired - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jim(m)y Williams Fired

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Super GM » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:49 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Tim Johnson - I think that's his name.

Cito Gaston is still out there too - and he's cheap. I like Fregosi the best of that group. I would take Fregosi or Bobby Cox over Tosca or Williams.

I doubt Atlanta would let him go! :-b
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rohan » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:28 am

yeah, he's hurt me with platooning Ensberg. Hopefully he'll get full playing time. Ensberg hits 3 homers in 3 games, then goes 0-4, what does Jimy do? Bench him.

Hey Jimy, Platoon this!!
Rohan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pomplona's finest » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:33 am

Woohoo! :-B
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:46 am

Man is it ever gonna be funny when the new manager benches Ensberg and gives Lamb the full time job............... :-) All these people are thinking Jimy was the reason Ensberg isn't getting all the palying time at 3B, when really he's getting too much.

Personally I think Lamb is a better option, and I even thought that before the season started. I can see giving Ensberg AB's vs lefties sometimes, but Lamb is more deserving IMO. Not to mention, he's playing much better defense as well as hitting much better so far this season...........

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:29 am

LBJackal wrote:Man is it ever gonna be funny when the new manager benches Ensberg and gives Lamb the full time job............... :-) All these people are thinking Jimy was the reason Ensberg isn't getting all the palying time at 3B, when really he's getting too much.

Personally I think Lamb is a better option, and I even thought that before the season started. I can see giving Ensberg AB's vs lefties sometimes, but Lamb is more deserving IMO. Not to mention, he's playing much better defense as well as hitting much better so far this season...........

you would think that the all-star break would be ample time to update the "lookout" .... Guess not! ...

Lamb over Ensberg?
Never ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:31 am

What makes you think Ensberg is better? So far, he's a worse fielder and a worse hitter. Lamb was a bigger prospect coming up, I believe, and they're almost the exact same age :-?

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:44 am

Well according to this ... http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=78087

Ensberg was the higher ranked prospect in 2002 ... Now I agree that niether are 'great' overall, and niether will have 'great' careers, Morgan has always shown more power, and the way that ballpark plays to righties, the new manager would be foolish not to play Morgan. I know the old manager was ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:02 am

He'd be foolish to play Mike Lamb because................? I don't see any reason. Because Ensberg was rated higher by a sports site in 2002? The same site that said Betemit is better than Teixeira? Ensberg wasn't even a prospect in 2002 anyways, he was 27 years old. Maybe if he was in the majors like most 27 year olds he wouldn't have been on a prospect list. LOL.

I don't think being right handed is enough reason to start him either. Even though he's righthanded he's hitting worse than Lamb, and showing much less power. Lamb has twice as many HR's in half the at-bats, and in a stadium that favours righties. Also, the defense: Lamb is making 3 plays per game, whiel Ensberg is making 2.5 plays per game. Over an entire season, that's 80 extra outs that you get by starting Lamb. You don't think that should play a factor either?

I don't see any argument of why Ensberg should start...... at best he should be platooning against lefties, like last year. Geez, a guy has a good half-season batting primarily against lefties, and all of a sudden he should be starting over a player that's better than him in every part of the game.........

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:18 am

Well you are using a very small sample size there, and you should know better ...

First off the are almost exactly the same age, so that is not a factor .. But ....

Career Fielding PCT ..
Lamb .942
Ensberg .951
w/ Ensberg having a better pct this year too. But we can't really haggle on about the Houston defense here. I mean they are starting Kent and Biggio up the middle, so defense is either important or its not. Apparently its not, even though Morgan is better.

Career SLG ..
Lamb .398
Ensberg .452 ..
More power ? like I was saying ...

Career OBP ..
Lamb .338
Ensberg . .353 ..

and while speed is not a big deal with either player, Morgan has a much better career pct and has stolen 4 times as many bases over their respective careers ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:36 am

Fielding %? And you say I should know better............ F% is next to meaningless, especially when it's as close as it is between Lamb and Ensberg.

Lamb has a better range factor for his career than Ensberg. Not as much better as this year (which is a fairly big sample size relative to their careers). Based on career RnF, Lamb makes 29 more outs per seasons than Ensberg. Just because Houston has great hitters who aren't great fielders on the field, doesn't mean Ensberg should start just because he's a worse fielder. I think we can safely say Lamb is the better defender.

Now for offense. Morgan's only good season was last year, and it was only a half of a season. He was platooning with Blum, and therefore faced lefties much more often than he should have. Any time they faced a tough righty they just threw Blum out there. So he was pampered all year, and did actually have a good year, but I dont' think a half a season taht occurred a year ago is enough to make a judgement on. How about a half a season that has already happened this season? Lamb has an 883 OPS, and Ensberg has a 680 OPS.

If you're using Ensberg's 4 SB's in 6 chances as evidence he's better, then you're about at the bottom of the barrel. SB's dont' help your team unless you're at a 70% success rate; Ensberg isn't. And even so, it's only 4 SB's. Geez. I'd rather have Lamb attempt one SB all year and get caught than have Ensberg attempt 12 and make 2 thirds of them.

Bottom line: Lamb has been better at everything this year. You can grasp at straws by saying Ensberg will steal more bases and was ranked high as a 27 year old prospect 2 seasons ago while Lamb was busy having a good year with an actual MLB team, but it doesn't really hold much water. I'm going to bed now........

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers