Jim(m)y Williams Fired

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Super GM » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:19 pm

Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:21 pm

Who was the former Blue Jays manager who told his players that he fought in Vietnam and it turned out to be a lie?

That's who they should have hired - he was good.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby WhiteHot » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:52 pm

Ensberg will hit 30 homers now!

/sarcasm
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby matmat » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:57 pm

i don't like seeing managers fired, but . . .

maybe now the players will be happier and motivated. :)
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby john gardner » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:08 pm

I think Jimy just wasn't cutting it. I wouldn't expect to know what he knows about baseball, but that pitching staff has go to produce better than .500 ball. :-/
You never can tell...the depth of the well...by the length of the handle on the pump..
john gardner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mikcou » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:17 pm

DMXdawg wrote:So says the people who fired Grady Little and nicknamed Francona Fran "Coma"

Look at sweet lou and look at what he's done with the surging drays, and look what bobby cox has done this year with smokes and mirrors.

Now look at the Astros players and see how good their team really is. They shouldn't be a 500 team. Jimy cannot motivate players, he leaves his relivers in too long (See: Dotel, Lidge, and who was that lefty two years ago, Stone?) He's awful. Plus his strat- the adam everett bunt, wow.

Must have changed a lot since he was in Boston had a pretty quick hook here except with Avery, he always liked him 8-o
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jeffc_76 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:44 pm

FINALLY.

Hopefully it's not too late for the Astro's to make up the ground keeping them out of the playoffs. The division title is probably out of reach but the wild card should be attainable. This is a move that should have been made before the season even started and it was frustrating to watch it become more and more obvious with each passing week, and have him still hanging onto it. For once, the team went out and made some bold moves to go for it all this year, but failed to make the most important move of all. Jim(m)y is the worst manager in baseball and the fact that he took a much improved Astros team this year from the one that underachieved last year on its way to a near playoff spot, and only managed a .500 record at the all-star break, only re-enforces his spot at the top....errr bottom.

btw, LOVED how he was resoundly booed by the home town fans last night. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving shmuck.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:17 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Who was the former Blue Jays manager who told his players that he fought in Vietnam and it turned out to be a lie?

Yeah, that guy with the weird moustache. They should get him. Or Jim Fregosi, the guy who was beaten by the Jays in the World Series, and then decided to join us. Both managers that the Jays beat in the World Series have been managers for the Jays themselves. Jimy One M also managed the Jays back in the day.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:25 pm

LBJackal wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Who was the former Blue Jays manager who told his players that he fought in Vietnam and it turned out to be a lie?

Yeah, that guy with the weird moustache. They should get him. Or Jim Fregosi, the guy who was beaten by the Jays in the World Series, and then decided to join us. Both managers that the Jays beat in the World Series have been managers for the Jays themselves. Jimy One M also managed the Jays back in the day.

Tim Johnson - I think that's his name.

Cito Gaston is still out there too - and he's cheap. I like Fregosi the best of that group. I would take Fregosi or Bobby Cox over Tosca or Williams.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby wrveres » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:21 pm

I'd like to see Dave Stewart get another shot at it ....

as for Jimy .. Good fricking riddance ... You still owe me 25 homeruns so I suggest you go visit Mcguire for some of that Andro he is not using anymore .....

As for Garner, sure he sucked in Milwaukee and Detroit, but hey, he never had toys like this to play with now did he .... ?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers