How valuable are MR's? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How valuable are MR's?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How valuable are MR's?

Postby wannabthechamp » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:25 am

In a 10 team H2H league that counts W, L, SV, K, ERA, WHIP how valuable are MR's like Ryan, Rincon, Mota, and Shields? Are they gonna help bring your ERA down a lot and get you K's?
"I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany. - Ron Burgundy
wannabthechamp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bukoski77 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:31 am

10 teams have such a SP and closer pitching pool to work with that they really go under valued and generate almost no trade interest.

A handfull like K-Rod and Mota are worth picking up or haveing as a fill in whenever you are uneasy about your SP matchups, but the pitching pool is too deep for them to command any real premium in 10 team leagues.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Super GM » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:27 pm

I would stay away from middle relievers unless your league counts holds. You never know when they're gonna blow up. For example Chris Reitsma has been pretty dominant all season and the went through this cold stretch a couple of weeks ago, where he was giving up 2-3 runs every outing. He's settled down again though... Those guys can make or break you.... I personally don't touch them....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Members Only Jackets » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:38 pm

In my AL Only League, w/ daily roster changes, mid relievers are VERY VALUABLE--and we don't count holds. Scott Shields, for example, gives me K's when I need them and he'll bring down my ERA/WHIP when he pitches a cple of good innings. I'd say if you're able to rotate pitchers in & out of your line up daily, MR are important.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mikcou » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:21 pm

Members Only Jackets wrote:In my AL Only League, w/ daily roster changes, mid relievers are VERY VALUABLE--and we don't count holds. Scott Shields, for example, gives me K's when I need them and he'll bring down my ERA/WHIP when he pitches a cple of good innings. I'd say if you're able to rotate pitchers in & out of your line up daily, MR are important.

I agree I used to do the same thing with Lidge before he became the closer it was quite helpful with k's on my staff that wasnt striking many guys out
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby great gretzky » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:27 pm

there are definitely uses for them. in my legues, sheilds counts as a starter. so you can play him all the time. I also have lidge. if you do the math, it is almost like having an elite starter who will get 10 wins and 20 saves with a superior k rate. definitely worth having on the squad.

ryan and mota are also worth having IMO, as is f-rod.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby MashinSpuds » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:51 pm

Another factor is that some of them might turn into closers if the team is desperate. Lidge is an obvious example, but Ryan, FRod, KRod and Gordon are all guys who, whether it injury or inadequacy, could get you some saves down the road.

Also, if you have a dominant MR, their weekly stats can compare to a starter. Ryan can pitch 4+ innings a week, usually 1-2 Ks per inning, and maybe an ER. That's 4 innings, 6 Ks, 1 Er. With maybe a win involved, that's not a bad line to have in there.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Return to Baseball Leftovers