NOMAR to the CUBS heating up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

NOMAR to the CUBS heating up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:51 pm

Im pretty sure one of the prospects would be either Guzman or Brownlie, who are stud SPs in the farm system. If the rotation wasn't already stacked enough they'd probably be up in the majors learning the ropes. Frances Beltran would possibly be in it too.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Danimal » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:16 pm

kelton and Mitre enter the picture, I believe.
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:36 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Registered_Guest wrote:In other news in the sports world, hockey has gone on strike. I have no links for this and none are to be expected anytime soon.

Word has it when hockey season rolls around and no games are being played, they want to see if anyone actually notices...

Or cares. ;-D

:-t :-t

LBJackal wrote:Canadians don't put their money where their mouth is? WTF are you talking about? Canadians support their hockey teams much more than Americans. Just because we have less people doesn't mean we don't support our teams. Toronto has always been one of the most profitable teams in the NHL, despite having a dollar worth a lot less than the American dollar.

Teams in Arizona and Georgia is what is wrong with hockey....... having 10,000,000 fans of a team with no die-hard fans is worse than 10,000 fans who are all die-hard. Not better financially, but that's what you get for letting Americans stick their noses in where they don't belong...........

Stick their noses where they don't belong?? For whatever reasons, the NHL has trouble keeping a handful of teams in Canada. You want more?? As for diehard fans, you need to be objective about this. Atlanta (your example) has only been in the league for a few years. Comparing their fans to the fans of an original six team is useless. Obviously, there will be more diehards for Toronto. Just wondering.......When you made this statement, what numbers do you have for the number of true Atlanta fans?? I'm quite sure that you had some research done before making that statement. ;-7

Yes, sticking their noses where they don't belong.

When the NHL was mostly Canadian, and northern US teams, it was easy for a small market with lots of fans to support a team. Then all these southerners bought a team, started paying huge amounts of money to all the players, and the Canadian teams couldn't afford it. We have the fans, you have the money. You guys have to spend a ton of money to get interest, and by doing that you make most of the players too expensive for small markets (most of which are Canadian).

Now we're in a state of hockey where players are getting paid too much, there isn't enough interest since a ton of great players are in places who don't appreciate them, and teams are losing money because salaries were driven up so much while attendance and fan support souldn't possibly increase since it was already at it's terminal height, so to speak.

Don't blame Canada for the collapse of hockey, it was fine before the southerners poked their noses in..........

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:46 pm

LBJackal wrote:Don't blame Canada for the collapse of hockey, it was fine before the southerners poked their noses in..........

I don't blame Canada or any country in particular for the NHL's problems. But keep in mind that the NHL powers that be (both American and Canadian) solicited southern venues. You make it sound as if it's some diabolical master plan by the hicks of the U.S. to undermine hockey. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jebatzel » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:34 am

If the Red Sox don't get Randy then I hope the Angels too.

my two cents
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby rmeesig » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:38 am

so much for this thread topic...

Nomar trade not in the works
BY PAUL SULLIVAN

Chicago Tribune

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 685.htm?1c
Speculation involving Nomar Garciaparra coming to the Cubs surfaced again Wednesday, but chances of everything falling into place appear remote
The Cubs are unlikely to part with their two top pitching prospects, Angel Guzman and Bobby Brownlie, although most everyone else in the minors would be available.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wannabthechamp » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:54 am

I don't know if Sullivan really knows anything more than anyone else that has reported this rumor, he's basically just saying that in his opinion he doesn't think it'll happen.
"I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany. - Ron Burgundy
wannabthechamp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:03 am

Amazinz wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Don't blame Canada for the collapse of hockey, it was fine before the southerners poked their noses in..........

I don't blame Canada or any country in particular for the NHL's problems. But keep in mind that the NHL powers that be (both American and Canadian) solicited southern venues. You make it sound as if it's some diabolical master plan by the hicks of the U.S. to undermine hockey. :-D

The decision to expand to the south was a bad one... I'm not saying that the powers that be aren't at fault, and some of thsoe are Canadian (although I really don't know specifics, since it's irrelevent) because they are. I'm just saying that adding more big-budget teams (read: American cities with large populations that don't like hockey) ruined the league. Just like the Yankees are ruining baseball. Sure, it's within the rules, but it's still ruining parity.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby nsulham » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:11 am

rmeesig wrote:so much for this thread topic...

Nomar trade not in the works
BY PAUL SULLIVAN

Chicago Tribune

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 685.htm?1c
Speculation involving Nomar Garciaparra coming to the Cubs surfaced again Wednesday, but chances of everything falling into place appear remote
The Cubs are unlikely to part with their two top pitching prospects, Angel Guzman and Bobby Brownlie, although most everyone else in the minors would be available.

It's one source dude, and most likely just giving his opinion. Everything I've read has said that it's at least being given thought.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TonyCee » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:18 am

I really hope RJ stays with the 'backs, I need him on my team! :-o
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext