NOMAR to the CUBS heating up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

NOMAR to the CUBS heating up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:34 pm

Canadians may be better fans but they don't put their money where their mouth is. Mook is being facetious (or I think he is) but I agree with contraction just maybe not as severe as 6 teams. Carolina will fold financially if there is a strike so that's one down. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:Canadians may be better fans but they don't put their money where their mouth is.

when I read that, I had to do a double take. Then a thought struck me: "that's true!" Canadians do not spend all their money on snacks and food.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rmeesig » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:47 pm

this thread has been officially hijacked.

I hate hockey, but I like Canadians for the most part ;)
Last edited by rmeesig on Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:47 pm

Canadians don't put their money where their mouth is? WTF are you talking about? Canadians support their hockey teams much more than Americans. Just because we have less people doesn't mean we don't support our teams. Toronto has always been one of the most profitable teams in the NHL, despite having a dollar worth a lot less than the American dollar.

Teams in Arizona and Georgia is what is wrong with hockey....... having 10,000,000 fans of a team with no die-hard fans is worse than 10,000 fans who are all die-hard. Not better financially, but that's what you get for letting Americans stick their noses in where they don't belong...........

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:08 pm

LBJackal wrote:Canadians don't put their money where their mouth is? WTF are you talking about? Canadians support their hockey teams much more than Americans. Just because we have less people doesn't mean we don't support our teams. Toronto has always been one of the most profitable teams in the NHL, despite having a dollar worth a lot less than the American dollar.

Teams in Arizona and Georgia is what is wrong with hockey....... having 10,000,000 fans of a team with no die-hard fans is worse than 10,000 fans who are all die-hard. Not better financially, but that's what you get for letting Americans stick their noses in where they don't belong...........

WTF are you talking about? Are Canadian teams in better financial shape then NHL teams in the North of the U.S.? No. Embarrassingly, Toronto is the only Canadian team in better shape than the struggling teams in the U.S. South. I agree that putting teams in the South and other areas hasn't been the brightest idea but then again everyone said San Jose would fail and now they are one of the more profitable franchises.

As for Americans sticking their noses in, here’s a little wake up call there my Canadian friend: Americans own most of the NHL. Too bad Canada can't support their own sport or hockey league but you'll sit here and condemn Americans for ruining the sport? So take your hockey to another country. I would be saddened but most American's couldn't give a rat's ass.

Ottawa: Recently bankrupt, subsidized
Edmonton: 30th least valuable franchise, subsidized
Calgary: 28th least valuable franchise, subsidized
Montreal: Losing money, subsidized
Quebec: Folded and moved
Winninpeg: Folded and moved
Vancouver: turned a profit last year for the first time in many years, subsidized

Every team in Canada except Toronto is subsidized by American teams who are run by American's who you claim "stick their nose in". I know the exchange rate is solely the cause of 7 out of 8 teams being financial failures. Right. Don't let national pride get in the way of making intelligent comments.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:08 pm

Whoa - simmer down now.

For the most part Canadians enjoy hockey more and are into it more but it is such a regional thing.

Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Detroit, Boston, New York, Chicago are all great hockey cities and will go to watch any hockey, pro or minor hockey just like Americans in the southern states show up for high school football, car races and rodeos.

Because of the population difference the huge TV contracts do not come in for these Canadian sites and the gate-driven leagues do much better.

Now that the NHL has crapped out on its last TV contract it will have to look at contraction and moving back to the cities where they won't get a million people to watch on TV but will probably get 10,000 to buy tickets.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:15 pm

Amazinz wrote:As for Americans sticking their noses in, here’s a little wake up call there my Canadian friend: Americans own most of the NHL. Too bad Canada can't support their own sport or hockey league but you'll sit here and condemn Americans for ruining the sport? So take your hockey to another country. I would be saddened but most American's couldn't give a rat's ass.

All of this is sadly true - except for the not supporting their own league stuff. The NHL made a mistake in expanding so much and trying to become a major sport. All of the support for hockey is along the 49th parallel - on both sides of the border. We could not support this huge beast that stretched over the entire contient.

If the NHL had concentrated there and put their efforts into the product and regional tv deals the league would be much stronger and the game better.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby BigMusky » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:17 pm

What hockey really needs to do is find its niche. It competes way too much with basketball. It should focus its season to the time the WNBA runs. The beginning of the hockey season could overlay with the end of the NBA. Then they would have their time in the sun when baseball gets going. Most people lose interest in baseball for the June and July if their team is out of it and then pick back up interest when playoffs near. That is when hockey should focus their season. But who wants to think of hockey in the middle of summer! Sounds weird but would probably work. Hockey is way better then any womens sport (except maybe beach volleyball) so if the WNBA can turn a profit then, imagine what hockey could do.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:23 pm

Registered_Guest wrote:In other news in the sports world, hockey has gone on strike. I have no links for this and none are to be expected anytime soon.

Word has it when hockey season rolls around and no games are being played, they want to see if anyone actually notices...

Or cares. ;-D

:-t :-t

LBJackal wrote:Canadians don't put their money where their mouth is? WTF are you talking about? Canadians support their hockey teams much more than Americans. Just because we have less people doesn't mean we don't support our teams. Toronto has always been one of the most profitable teams in the NHL, despite having a dollar worth a lot less than the American dollar.

Stick their noses where they don't belong?? For whatever reasons, the NHL has trouble keeping a handful of teams in Canada. You want more?? As for diehard fans, you need to be objective about this. Atlanta (your example) has only been in the league for a few years. Comparing their fans to the fans of an original six team is useless. Obviously, there will be more diehards for Toronto. Just wondering.......When you made this statement, what numbers do you have for the number of true Atlanta fans?? I'm quite sure that you had some research done before making that statement. ;-7
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:33 pm

Hey hockey fans, look on the bright side: at least your more popular on TV then soccer ;-D . If anyone wants to debate with me about why soccer doesn't suck, lets get this party started then!
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers