making an exibition game "count" is stupid - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

making an exibition game "count" is stupid

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby josebach » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:29 am

Amazinz wrote:From the AP article published today:

For the second straight year, the fact that the winning league in the All-Star game has been awarded home-field advantage in the World Series didn't translated into higher ratings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=1839866

Also in the same article:
"The first half-hour of Tuesday's broadcast was up 16 percent. Viewer interest diminished after the AL got out to the commanding early lead against National League starter Roger Clemens."

Maybe the overall ratings ended up being lower because it wasn't a very good game. I know I didn't watch the whole game, but I probably would have if it was close. A 16% increase is a lot and is a much more accurate representation of overall interest in the game.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:35 am

The more I think about it...

The only thing that this article shows is that the AL got a 6 run lead and people changed the channel. To quote sections of this article as evidence that the all-star game counting is not increasing interest or that the fans prefer it the old way is very manipulative. :-t
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:09 am

josebach wrote:The more I think about it...

The only thing that this article shows is that the AL got a 6 run lead and people changed the channel. To use this article as evidence that the all-star game counting is not increasing interest or that the fans prefer it the old way is very manipulative. :-P *cough* Michael Moore *cough* :-P

Comparing me to M. Moore is a little harsh, I think. In both threads people claimed that the fact that it "counts" would increase viewer interest. Despite Clemens' outing, making it "count" had no effect on viewer interest. Clemens getting shelled did.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:50 am

Amazinz wrote:Comparing me to M. Moore is a little harsh, I think. In both threads people claimed that the fact that it "counts" would increase viewer interest. Despite Clemens' outing, making it "count" had no effect on viewer interest. Clemens getting shelled did.

It was harsh, that's why I removed the reference... sorry.

As far as "making it count" increasing viewer interest. I wasn't suggesting that the article proved that it increased viewer interest. I was just saying that it didn't prove the opposite either and to suggest otherwise is somewhat of a misrepresentation.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:57 am

I do think it proves to a degree that making the game count had no bearing on fan interest. But I didn't post the article link to be manipulative or swing people over to my side. I just threw it out there as a point of interest. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:11 pm

Amazinz wrote:I do think it proves to a degree that making the game count had no bearing on fan interest. But I didn't post the article link to be manipulative or swing people over to my side. I just threw it out there as a point of interest. ;-)

It's all good. To be honest with you, I'm so tired of talking about this topic both here and with friends, I couldn't care less what they do anymore... Just as long as I can keep watching. :-)
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers