Benitez tanks again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Benitez tanks again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Benitez tanks again

Postby jdh » Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:08 pm

Benitez blew another save today, giving up a solo homer and a 1-0 lead in the 9th. This is his third blown save this week. He is booed whenever he takes the mound in New York. Any estimates on how long it goes before he is demoted or traded?
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby drunkenmonkey » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:14 am

He has always been booed in New York. Too early to dump him yet, but don't wait around if the Mets start throwing someone else in to close their games.
It's time to roll the dice.
drunkenmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby jdh » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:22 am

I would think that it's more likely that they would trade him to Boston if they want to dump him as their closer. He makes way too much money to be used as a middle reliever. Boston needs a closer desperately, since they will soon realize that their atrocious committee approach is a disaster.

Why are NY fans so hell bent against Benitez? Before this year, was he not one of the better closers in the league? What would really be fun is if the Mets trade Benitez to Tampa for John Rocker and use Rocker as their closer. That would teach the fans a lesson.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jnr98 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:21 pm

From ESPN's NYY fantasy Correspondent:

THANKS ARMANDO
No matter what his own fans say about him, Armando Benitez never fails to get the job done in my book. After watching Jorge Posada's putrid defense cost the Yankees a game in the ninth inning yesterday, I turned to watch the JV game - hoping that my man Armando could come through for me again. Benitez did his job, blowing his third save in 4 tries and turning my frown upside-down! I had soon forgotten about the Yanks' loss, all thanks to my man Armando. I can only hope that he does not start stuffing the ball in one of his nostrils and sneezing it up to the plate, he would be unstoppable! (Have you ever seen the size of those things? You could drive a truck through one of those wind tunnels!) Thanks again Armando, you always do the job for me - HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
You may remember him as Joe the Policeman from the "What's Goin' Down?" episode of That's My Momma! Please welcome, Jackson Heights' own, Mr. Randy Watson! Sexual Chocolate!!!
jnr98
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby cwhitty » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:56 pm

Whether you start him at this point is up to you but dont dump him. I would defenitely consider Boston a major option for him to wind up. Once Wigginton begins to struggle, look for Benitez to be traded to Boston with Shea Hillenbrand as the major player in return. Scott Strickland will wind up as the Mets' closer and struggle and Benitez will FLOURISH in Boston.
cwhitty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers