Trade Strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:22 pm

bleach168 wrote:I rarely do a 2 for 1 in which I got the 2 players. I'm sure many people who post here will say the same thing.

sometimes there are injuries and its necassary. But 99% of the time, a two for one where you get two, is not in your best interest ..

agreed
:-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1149)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benjapage » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:44 pm

i don't want to repeat anything already said, so i'll offer one thing that has not been mentioned:

even smart guys tend to (slightly) overvalue players from their home team.

if you happen to find a guy whose team has a bit of a hole AND it just so happens you have a player from his favorite MLB team that will fill that hole...you can typically get a little more bang for your buck.

that has, now thrice, been my experience this season.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby pomplona's finest » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:22 am

Benjapage definitely has a point with the favorite team idea. Having guys on th your opponent's favorite team can help you trade with him.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby ramble2 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:42 am

Good advice so far. Especially about which end of a 2-for-1 you typically want to be on ...

I do disagree with one thing. Sometimes it's okay to overpay a bit. The cases I'm thinking of are cases where you end up with a player in the top two (or whatever) at their position, but give up two good players that together may be worth more. It's worth doing if you have a deep enough team that you'll benefit overall. One example might be if you have a solid player that's riding your bench or coming off the DL, e.g., you can trade away A. Ramirez because Chavez is back. Or in cases where a player you picked up on the cheap is performing well enough to allow you to move a more highly regarded player, e.g., perhaps Jason Bay allows you to move Matsui.

It has the added bonus of helping make the trade more attractive (thus more likely to be accepted), of benefitting both teams, and of making you appear to be a desirable trading partner to the rest of the league.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:57 am

bleach168 wrote:The key to pulling off a 2 for 1 trade is making sure the other guy is really stupid. Good teams rarely have a "hole" in their team let alone two.

I have never done a 2 for 1 in which I got the 2 players. I'm sure many people who post here will say the same thing.

I am usually on the side getting the one as well, but I wouldn't say never. I think there are always exceptions. In my keeper, I bought low on Delgado by getting Delgado and Webb for Halladay. In this case, I think it was advantageous to be on the side getting the 2.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers