How do you deal with other owners......???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do you deal with other owners......????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BigMusky » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:42 pm

I do not invite people who do not trade into a league. It is one thing to be patient or want to keep your best player, but it is another to never trade or even respond. That takes almost all the fun out of fantasy.

then you donkey punch them.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:47 pm

I've yet to find a good way to deal with people who overvalue. I set out on a mission to get Oswalt in my primary league after the draft. I've had him every season, and thought he'd be safe third round... but I had the last pick, and the guy before me took him. I've offered up everything from straight trade with Hudson to a deal that invovled Prior (while injured) and Danny Graves. He will NOT accept anything. He even told me at one point he'd consider Rolen + Graves for him. WTF?!?!

I've offered probably 20 reasonable trades this year, and 5 shot-in-the-dark ones. None of them have been accepted. :-t
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pomplona's finest » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:58 pm

I would go with BigMusky and Precise and just hunt the guy down and donkey punch him (whatever that means :-?) .
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Irish » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:43 pm

Luckily my league doesn't keep up with the waiver wire and injuries too well, so I've overpaid on some trades knowing I could pick up Garret Anderson, Preston Wilson, Vernon Wells, etc. If it wasn't for that I couldn't take it, cause my league is full of a bunch of tightwads that always counter my offers with garbage. They are all noobs, which I was at the beginning. Now I look at all the player comparisons on this site and realize how moronic the other guys in my league are. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:07 pm

People who don't know how to properly value players need to be given two treatments:

a) The newbie treatment - Explain to them the "why" behind your thinking and encourage them to visit this site to prove that you're not pulling their leg. They will eventually see the light or go the way of the Neanderthal.

b) The dumbass treatment - They are already on the path of the Neanderthal. Ignore them entirely because they will soon implode over their terrible record. I repeat, ignore them entirely.

The other manager I hate is the inactive manager. Although, I guess that goes without saying that everyone hates those people. I need to make some last minute deals, but they never reply to e-mails (the inactive people, that is) even though the deal will benefit them long-term. Whatever...
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby trippinonreality » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:25 pm

I do not invite people who do not trade into a league. It is one thing to be patient or want to keep your best player, but it is another to never trade or even respond. That takes almost all the fun out of fantasy.

then you donkey punch them.

I agree it takes the fun out of the game but that may be the worst use of the phrase donkey punch I have ever heard but to each their own.

I overpay to teams that aren't a threat to me but teams that I know are intelligent enough to know what a bad trade is I just put on my do not trade list and talk extra bad about them after I hand them their asses.
trippinonreality
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:54 am

Depends on how they handle themselves when I deal with them. For example, this one guy this year kept offering me junk for Randy Johnson. Even offered Burnitz for RJ straight up the day of RJ's perfect game. At first, I just simply rejected them, no explanation was needed. Finally I grew bored and started counter offering with my Webb for his Helton. Needless to say that he left me alone for awhile after that. Now this week he offered Helton for RJ. Now that one I did politely decline and explained that whip/era are my two worst catagories and I couldn't afford to deal RJ right now.

Now if a team makes me a fair offer and I decline, I do try to explain why. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers