RJ to Boston, Nomar to ChiSox (RUMOR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RJ to Boston, Nomar to ChiSox (RUMOR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:16 pm

slomo007 wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:But who's to say Boston is willing to give RJ a contract extension? They have to worry about Pedro, Lowe and Varitek too. Who knows if they'll go resign RJ or if RJ will want to resign there if they don't win the world series this year.

RJ is signed through next year....16 mill (I believe).

Hmm...they why was there all that talk in the other RJ thread about teams offering him extensions?
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:18 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:But who's to say Boston is willing to give RJ a contract extension? They have to worry about Pedro, Lowe and Varitek too. Who knows if they'll go resign RJ or if RJ will want to resign there if they don't win the world series this year.

Hmm...they why was there all that talk in the other RJ thread about teams offering him extensions?

RJ has said if he is still playing at a high level he will continue playing beyond next year...hence the contract talks. He also indicated that the extension is not a requirement for a trade. I'll try to find the ESPN article I read this from.....
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:19 pm

ESPN wrote:The 40-year-old left-hander, who pitched a perfect game at Atlanta on May 18, is making $16 million this season and is due $16 million in 2005, the final year of his deal. He said he does not want a new contract as part of waving his rights to block a trade.

"Reading that I want an extension, that's the only way that I would accept a trade, is absolutely incorrect," he said. "Saying that I would be willing to go to Anaheim because I've got a house there 20 minutes [from the ballpark] is absolutely incorrect."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar04 ... id=1838530
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:19 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

He is signed through next year. That's one reason that ARI isn't in as big a rush to trade him as everyone makes out. But RJ has been quoted as saying he would like an extension beyond next year.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:24 pm

zEli173 wrote:If the trade happened, it'd be a slam dunk for the Red Sox. They're getting RJ for a player who will otherwise walk away. For glutony, See: Steinbrenner.

I think I'm just hoping it doesn't come to that level of gluttony for the Sox. I suppose we'll see how much they want to win.

I think all this RJ talk has heated up simply b/c no one wants to talk about Kris Benson. [snore]
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Pokey » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:07 pm

My internets being stupid...and i cant get onto any other sites... all I know is that my mom just called me and said "did you hear about garciaparra... he got traded" keep in mind my mom knows nothing about baseball... but apparently she heard it on the radio...someone please tell me what's going on!!
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rmeesig » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:09 pm

Pokey wrote:My internets being stupid...and i cant get onto any other sites... all I know is that my mom just called me and said "did you hear about garciaparra... he got traded" keep in mind my mom knows nothing about baseball... but apparently she heard it on the radio...someone please tell me what's going on!!

Well who are we to dispute your mom...damn, looks like the Sox got him....

;)
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dr.DooM » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:33 pm

I don't get it, I thought RJ wanted to get traded to a contender. I don't mean this as a personal swipe against Boston, but I find it odd that someone who really wants to win another World Series would join a team that hasn't won one since 1918. Personally, I think Anaheim would be a better fit.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:36 pm

Pokey wrote:My internets being stupid...and i cant get onto any other sites... all I know is that my mom just called me and said "did you hear about garciaparra... he got traded" keep in mind my mom knows nothing about baseball... but apparently she heard it on the radio...someone please tell me what's going on!!

Huh, that's funny, cuz we just traded your mom! Enjoy the 6-pack, kid.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:38 pm

Dr.DooM wrote:I don't get it, I thought RJ wanted to get traded to a contender. I don't mean this as a personal swipe against Boston, but I find it odd that someone who really wants to win another World Series would join a team that hasn't won one since 1918. Personally, I think Anaheim would be a better fit.

I disagree. If Boston was to get RJ, I really think they would win the WS this year. The year is only half over, they are now healthy, and RJ could provide the catalyst to get this underachievers to start peforming. Provided they made the playoffs, how could you bet against Pedro, Schilling and RJ in a 5 or 7 game series?? Damn.

That being said, whoever gets RJ (if he is traded) is going to be a force.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers