To all you non spot-starters out there...... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

To all you non spot-starters out there......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

To all you non spot-starters out there......

Postby Soxcess » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:17 am

in a head 2 head league with pitching categories IP, W, CG, Shutouts, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP, give me one good reason why spot starting isn't the best strategy, if you look at it like this, there are 5 categories that SP directly effect being IP, W, K, ERA, WHIP. CG and shutouts are almost like bonus points, so with those 5 categories you are pracitcally guaranteed to win IP, W, and K's, so you are taking a 3-2 lead into the week without even playing yet, now if I were to tell you that you could take a 3-2 lead into every week with a good chance to catch the other guy in the 2 categories (ERA and WHIP) and virtually no chance at being caught in the 3 categories you are winning, why wouldn't you spot start??? just trying to stir up some debate here??? I'm still trying to figure out a reason NOT to spot start and it's just not coming to me
Soxcess Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:42 am

I am in an 8 team league with a short bench. For me to spot start would require me to drop someone really good that would get picked up by someone else. I also have five good closers that get alot of K's (Gagne, Lidge, Dotel, CWS closer, Herges), combined with Clement, Oswalt, Oliver Perez, Vasquez and Pavano I really do not have a problem with K's. I think I average around 65-70(I think I hit 90 one week). There are times where I would love to pick up guys to help with Wins, but that does not usually work for me because it hurts my ERA, WHIP and they do not win all the time anyway. There are teams though in my league that have a far inferior pitching staff and I am glad they have not adopted a spot start stradegy. I usually carry one more pitcher then listed above, but due to injuries to the my batting lineup I had to pick up another bat and drop Odalis Perez.

I know that you are probably thinking there are alot of good pitchers on the WW and that is true, but they are still inferior to the pitchers on most peoples staff and will hurt you in some way if you play them consistantly.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Registered_Guest » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:16 pm

It is a good strategy for maybe 1-2 starters in a staff.

Victor Zambrano has been unreal at home since his Boston outing at home earlier in the year.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheRock » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:30 pm

It is the best strategy. For H2H with 9 pitching categories. Basically comes down to who can churn the most pitchers through their roster every week. Quantity over quality. Whoopie. That's why serious players don't play that game.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Irish » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:55 pm

Here's what I have been doing recently. I have Vasquez, Schmidt, Kerry Wood, and Clement. I trade all these guys away and aquire Beltran, Vlad, and Pujols with 2 or 3 for 1 trades. Then I use spot starters, which there are quality of, every week. I dominate offensively, and win 2 of 5 pitching categories minimum (W, SV, K's, ERA, WHIP). I've won 4 of 5 a few times too. Alot of people in my league have all relievers and one or two good starters and always beat me in whip, era, SV's etc, and occasionally W's when my SP's have a bad week. I used this strategy so I wouldn't have to worry about pitching anymore and my offense, which we have 2 deep at every poisiton with 5 outfielders, is stacked. It's worked for me.
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:30 pm

It's still risky using spots starters. There is a reason usually why a guy is a FA. And if you're in a 10 plus team league the starters available usually should remain FA's. But every now and then someone takes that chance to use those spot starters. The guy i played last week used 12 starts to my 7. He got 3 wins 6 losses, 5+ ERA, 1.60 WHIP... and he lost. Spot starting can benfit if the spot starters aren't pure crap. You just gotta pick and choose wisely.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JRM4833 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:44 pm

If you are talking about picking up guys for one day, then dropping them, and continuing this all week, Ill give you a reason. People dont use that system because it takes the fun out of something that is just a game. The whole idea is to mimic, to some extent, real baseball and let fans follow along. Since using all the players would be a pain in the ass, we use smaller leagues, leaving some decent players on the WW. I personally would only want to be in a league against owners that actually go with their teams. In real baseball you cant get 15 starts a week. It just doesnt work that way. If I were to employ this technique and win, I dont even think I could enjoy it. I draft my team, make moves to help it along, and let them play. Hopefully I know my baseball better than the other managers. If not, Ill lose. No big deal, but it was fun. This is a perfect example why leagues are now forced to use IP limits (weekly or yearly). Luckily, I play in leagues where this is not a problem.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby kentx12 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:50 pm

IIMO it is as close as cheating as you can get. I love H2H but I will not play unless there is a maximum inning limit.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby jbones733 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:47 pm

yeah spot starting is stupid, My league has averages this year, K/9 & w-l & its much, much better, teams havea nic 6-7 man staff,

last year we had IP as a category & it was horrible, everyone spot started, not really alot of fun
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:27 pm

I see no reason to ever use IP as a pitching cat.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers