Will Torre Walk Bonds? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Torre Walk Bonds?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:09 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Maybe in all but right now at this moment Rolen is more dangerous at the plate with runners in scoring position. Higher BA and more RBI.

.432 RISP


By that logic, Estrada is perhaps the best hitter in the league - .451 RISP. Call me crazy, but I'd rather face Estrada than Bonds, Pujols, Rolen or many others.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:13 am

slomo007 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Maybe in all but right now at this moment Rolen is more dangerous at the plate with runners in scoring position. Higher BA and more RBI.

.432 RISP


By that logic, Estrada is perhaps the best hitter in the league - .451 RISP. Call me crazy, but I'd rather face Estrada than Bonds, Pujols, Rolen or many others.

I agree with Mook on this one. I think you're buying into a player's reputation more than their current level of play.

P.S. NL should bat Bonds lead off. B-)
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:17 am

Amazinz wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Maybe in all but right now at this moment Rolen is more dangerous at the plate with runners in scoring position. Higher BA and more RBI.

.432 RISP


By that logic, Estrada is perhaps the best hitter in the league - .451 RISP. Call me crazy, but I'd rather face Estrada than Bonds, Pujols, Rolen or many others.

I agree with Mook on this one. I think you're buying into a player's reputation more than their current level of play.

P.S. NL should bat Bonds lead off. B-)


Rolen hit .286 with 28 HRs last year......and all of a sudden he is now a better hitter (right now) than Pujols? Give me a break. :-[
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:20 am

slomo007 wrote:Rolen hit .286 with 28 HRs last year......and all of a sudden he is now a better hitter than Pujols? Give me a break. :-[

He is a better hitter right now. I think we all know that when their careers are over we'll look back and say Pujols was the better hitter. But right now Rolen has earned that respect and you have to go with the hot hand. Just my $.02.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:21 am

Amazinz wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Rolen hit .286 with 28 HRs last year......and all of a sudden he is now a better hitter than Pujols? Give me a break. :-[

He is a better hitter right now. I think we all know that when their careers are over we'll look back and say Pujols was the better hitter. But right now Rolen has earned that respect and you have to go with the hot hand. Just my $.02.


I see we agree to disagree....it's fine though, I respect you and Mook's opinions.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:29 am

slomo007 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Maybe in all but right now at this moment Rolen is more dangerous at the plate with runners in scoring position. Higher BA and more RBI.

.432 RISP


By that logic, Estrada is perhaps the best hitter in the league - .451 RISP.


C'mon don't insult us. That's a dumb thing to say and you know it. That's a post that I would expect from a first time poster.

Rolen and Pujols are both studs in fantasy and in real life.

They both have all-star track records. Pujols has the higher ceiling and better potential, but right now nobody in baseball is in a groove like Rolen.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 268)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:34 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Maybe in all but right now at this moment Rolen is more dangerous at the plate with runners in scoring position. Higher BA and more RBI.

.432 RISP


By that logic, Estrada is perhaps the best hitter in the league - .451 RISP.


C'mon don't insult us. That's a dumb thing to say and you know it. That's a post that I would expect from a first time poster.

Rolen and Pujols are both studs in fantasy and in real life.

They both have all-star track records. Pujols has the higher ceiling and better potential, but right now nobody in baseball is in a groove like Rolen.


How is it dumb? You claim Rolen is a better hitter (right now) than Pujols because his current stats are better. Obviously, Rolen is hotter right now, but even with that, Pujols is far and away the "better hitter" and is the guy that would be protecting Bonds if I were the NL Manager.

By the way, a first time poster wouldn't have backed up their reasoning with a statistic. And like I said, "according to your logic". You said Rolen is a better hitter right now because his BA RISP is high, so I said Estrada's is even higher therefore he's "hotter" at the moment and the more fearsome hitter. According to your logic, that works perfectly.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:42 am

Rolen's numbers for last month

H/AB R HR RBI SB K AVG
26/85 16 2 16 2 18 .306

doesnt look too scary to me.

July Stats are not either, looks like someone is coming back down to earth.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
July 9 32 5 10 3 0 0 4 5 7 1 0 .313 .405 .406 .812
Image
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2780
Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "Milla-walk-ay"

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:43 am

BigMusky wrote:Rolen's numbers for last month

H/AB R HR RBI SB K AVG
26/85 16 2 16 2 18 .306

doesnt look too scary to me.

July Stats are not either, looks like someone is coming back down to earth.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
July 9 32 5 10 3 0 0 4 5 7 1 0 .313 .405 .406 .812


Indeed he is...hope everyone sold high. His .286 avg last year is not sounding quite so absurd anymore.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:08 pm

slomo007 wrote:How is it dumb? You claim Rolen is a better hitter (right now) than Pujols because his current stats are better. Obviously, Rolen is hotter right now, but even with that, Pujols is far and away the "better hitter" and is the guy that would be protecting Bonds if I were the NL Manager.

By the way, a first time poster wouldn't have backed up their reasoning with a statistic. And like I said, "according to your logic". You said Rolen is a better hitter right now because his BA RISP is high, so I said Estrada's is even higher therefore he's "hotter" at the moment and the more fearsome hitter. According to your logic, that works perfectly.


I don't mean to be disrespectful but comparing Estrada to either of these guys is not relevant to the discussion. Estrada has one good stat and I did not even come out in favor of Rolen based on RISP - it was just one stat that I used.

I have always said that Pujols is the better player and I would rather have him on my team in real life and in fantasy. Pujols is a better all around player - steals and defence included. The issue though was who should bat behing Bonds to give him better protection? Rolen is the more dangerous hitter right now. It's not just a blip - the guy has hit 30+ HR and driven in 120+ RBI for the past 3 yrs and is in an even better groove right now. The difference between him and Pujols is slight but you have to give Rolen some respect and bringing Estrada into the debate belittles Rolen and has nothing to do with my "logic".
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 268)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact