What to do about money league players who didn't pay... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What to do about money league players who didn't pay...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What to do about money league players who didn't pay...

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:25 pm

I am in a 12 team money league ($50) and three guys who were added late still have not paid. 2 of those guys are inactive, while the other one logs in twice a month or so.

We are trying to decide if we should drop all their players to waivers, redraft, or just leave as is.

My thought is that dropping everyone or redrafting will basically make the first draft we had pretty useless and reward those who didn't prepare as well the first time around. At the same time, I would like the league to be more competitive and think that a redraft would allow some teams who are out of it and basically are not logging in to get back into it.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:30 pm

Is this H2H or Roto?

There's really nothing you can do about it. They're not going to win the league, and they're not going to pay 1/2way through the season.

You've gotta collect dough before the draft. After, it becomes almost impossible...
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kelly Gruber » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:32 pm

Sorry to say, but you're screwed any way you look at it. You don't do anything, those guys most likely will not pay, you place their players on waivers or redraft and the owners in the lead will be pissed while guys near the bottom have a new chance they do not deserve.

My advice, freeze the guys who didn't pay (not that it will make a huge amount of difference to them most likely) and find a way to make them pay, either by freezing their teams in other leagues that you are in with them (if that luckily is the case), or in some other way. If all else fails, beat the shit out of them !+)

They committed, and it seems like a pretty serious pool at 50 bucks a piece (especially in American dollars, if I assume correctly!). At least teach them a lesson if they refuse to pay...

The lesson that you should learn from this is do not let people into your pool until they pay; that way you can avoid this whole mess next time :-?
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:34 pm

Standard 5x5 roto.

So you would say to leave it as is?

I know we should have collected, and our commish even designated the role of "enforcer" but I guess he slipped on his duties. They were added late, 3 days before the draft, to round out the league. It was one guy from our grad school and two of his friends.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Urge » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:38 pm

I'd leave it as is, boot them from the league, and freeze thier teams so they can't dump.
Urge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:00 am

Pretty much all you can do is freeze the teams.
I'm in a similar league that's been running the same core group of owners for 5 years, with a few others rotating in and out for a total ranging from 12-16 ... last year the commish politely asked everyone to pay about mid-May. He got a little more forceful with the stragglers in late May, and finally in June threatened to freeze any team not paid up by the break.

One guy, making some kind of Don Quixote protest, held his dough for an entire month before knuckling under.

Set the terms before the draft, then don't let in any latecomers unless they're waving the lettuce in front of your face.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Madison » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:18 am

AKhomebrewer wrote:One guy, making some kind of Don Quixote protest, held his dough for an entire month before knuckling under.

And Sancho Panza!

ACK! The nightmares!!!!!!! 8-o 8-o 8-o

Anyway, as to the topic at hand, next time, no money, no draft. For now, threaten to lock their teams if they don't pay up. If they refuse, then lock them.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jbones733 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:18 am

lol, my league is always a catastrophe trying to collect & were all friends, but we all live in diff places now, alawys a few ya gotta stay on top off,. but we do ALL 4 sports & usually everyone pays by end, just frustatring
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:25 am

Has anyone mentioned breaking knee caps? That's what we do in my league. After the first year, we didn't really have a problem with people not paying anymore, tho.
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:29 am

Take it as a lesson learned. Franchise fee MUST be paid before the draft or auction. No exceptions...ever.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers