Sean Burnett, SP, Pit - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sean Burnett, SP, Pit

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sean Burnett, SP, Pit

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:54 pm

Anybody been following the other Burnett? His game log is solid with only one bad outing. Pittsburgh can score runs and give him support, I'm going to roll the bones on him I think. Always interesting to take a shot at someone like this. Wish he'd get a few more K's though, but his control looks ok.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pomplona's finest » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:59 pm

Looks solid, but I don't expect much from him. I bet he'll get lit up real bad soon.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby jbones733 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:14 pm

not sure what to think, These pitt arms are usually pretty solid, & he seems to have good stuff, already threw a CG

i needed a 6th starter & i went w lackey over Burnett, but it was real close
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby thehat » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:19 pm

Has a chance to be this decade's Tom Glavine. Nibbler extraordinnaire, really nice command of all his pitches. BUT...he'll never be worth a whole lot in roto, as he will never be much in the K department. He'll win a lot of games over the next several years, though.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:23 pm

I've said it before... he throws WAY too soft to ever get K's. I still don't understand why he's putting up such good numbers, but I'm keeping my eye on him.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:53 pm

Supposed to be in that Greinke mold; superb control but can't break a pane of glass. I've always favored pitchers that don't walk every other guy, but I got jumped by about a half-hour trying to snare him for a spot start last time out.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Madison » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:11 am

I'm keeping an eye on him but that k rate (or lack of k's) is what's keeping him off my rosters for now.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thehat » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:40 am

AKhomebrewer wrote:Supposed to be in that Greinke mold; superb control but can't break a pane of glass. I've always favored pitchers that don't walk every other guy, but I got jumped by about a half-hour trying to snare him for a spot start last time out.

Greinke can jack it all the way up to mid-90's. He may never lead a league in K's, but you can bet he'll someday average 7 per 9. Burnett is a very nice prospect, Greinke is a potential monster. Bottom line is they're not really similar at all. Greinke relies on remarkable movement, while Burnett is a location guy all the way.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby joshheines » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:45 am

AKhomebrewer wrote:Supposed to be in that Greinke mold; superb control but can't break a pane of glass. I've always favored pitchers that don't walk every other guy, but I got jumped by about a half-hour trying to snare him for a spot start last time out.

With all due respect, don't talk about guys you don't know about. It's bad for the cafe because one comment becomes a misnomer.

Greinke can get up to 95 MPH if he needs to. He tends to sit in the high 80s to low 90s though. He prefers that speed because he is able to maintain greater control. Greinke currently (at 20 years old) has 3 above average major league pitches and is working on his fourth, a curve. His two-seamer has great movement, nearly sinker-like. His slider is a massive out pitch. His change-up is above average. And he is working on a spike curve.

Burnett on the other hand will never even be Tom Glavine. He doesn't even K that many. At High-A he only struck out 96 in 155 innings. In AA he struck out 86 in 160 innings. And this year in AAA he struck out 25 in 47 innings. That's what he is. Maybe a 3.50 ERA at best with good ratios and about 5.0 K / 9 IP. A good comparison for roto-numbers would be Jamie Moyer-Light.
It's easy, fun, and 100% safe!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby joshheines » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:46 am

thehat wrote:

Greinke can jack it all the way up to mid-90's. He may never lead a league in K's, but you can bet he'll someday average 7 per 9. Burnett is a very nice prospect, Greinke is a potential monster. Bottom line is they're not really similar at all. Greinke relies on remarkable movement, while Burnett is a location guy all the way.

You beat me to the punch.
It's easy, fun, and 100% safe!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers