The Butterfly Effect..? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Butterfly Effect..?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Butterfly Effect..?

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:25 pm

Terrible movie, but an interesting baseball hypothesis nonetheless. Sure, a lot of it is grounded in fantasy and assumptions, but I got a kick out of the article:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/the-butterfly-effect/
Kinda makes you think...

:-?
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:23 pm

8-o
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pedantic » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:28 pm

I haven't seen the movie, but the article sure knows how to meander...left me wondering what exactly the purpose of the article was. :-b
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:32 pm

Pedantic wrote:I haven't seen the movie, but the article sure knows how to meander...left me wondering what exactly the purpose of the article was. :-b

I don't think there's much of a purpose to the article, it's just interesting to think about how much of an impact such small details can have in baseball...and in life.

I dunno, I just thought it would be a fun article to discuss given the vacuum of any legitmate baseball activity for the next 3 days...
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pomplona's finest » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:10 am

yea, does make you think
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby GSes » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:31 am

Remeber last year, when the MArlins called up Miguel Cabrera "prematurely" b/c of all the Marlin injuries and the fact that at that time they were sord of out of contention. The Marlins went on to the playoffs and Miguel Cabrera had a sensational postseason leading the marlins to the World Series. If the marlins had been playing well from the start and had not had so many injuries odds are Miguel Cabrera would never have been called up. If he hadnt been called up the Marlins would not have beaten the yanks in the WS, maybe not even gotten to the WS. then the yanks would have won the WS, and George would not feel like he needed any drastic changes

and if Aaron Boone had never put on a pair of Basketabll shoes that day, well the butterfly effect

Aaron Boone would not have gotten hurt. and would be playin 3B right now for NY

Arod would not have been traded to the Yankees for Soriano

The Rangers would be in 1st place right now still if they had AROD, b/c lets face it, Arod is better then Soriano, the rangers would be in 1st with either.

This would mean the Rangers are finnally CONTENDERS, and AROD would have no reason TO LEAVE TEXAS. He would stay there, keep his capatainship and SS postion and MVP titles.

Arod would never have gone to NY, and play 3B alongside Jeter.

The Yankees would then have most likely traded Soriano for Beltran and you could go on and on, about how the butterfly effect works.

Im not knocking what this guy is saying, it is true and fun to think about but come on my situation, his situation, EVERY MOVE made in baseball or any sport can be made into a story like that. Its not lilke his thing is original or anything or mind boggoling
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GSes » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:33 am

but yes it does make you think. Every move or thing we do or choice we make in life changes the next thing.

The butterfly effect is exactly that.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:34 am

GSes wrote:Remeber last year, when the MArlins called up Miguel Cabrera "prematurely" b/c of all the Marlin injuries and the fact that at that time they were sord of out of contention. The Marlins went on to the playoffs and Miguel Cabrera had a sensational postseason leading the marlins to the World Series. If the marlins had been playing well from the start and had not had so many injuries odds are Miguel Cabrera would never have been called up. If he hadnt been called up the Marlins would not have beaten the yanks in the WS, maybe not even gotten to the WS. then the yanks would have won the WS, and George would not feel like he needed any drastic changes

and if Aaron Boone had never put on a pair of Basketabll shoes that day, well the butterfly effect

Aaron Boone would not have gotten hurt. and would be playin 3B right now for NY

Arod would not have been traded to the Yankees for Soriano

The Rangers would be in 1st place right now still if they had AROD, b/c lets face it, Arod is better then Soriano, the rangers would be in 1st with either.

This would mean the Rangers are finnally CONTENDERS, and AROD would have no reason TO LEAVE TEXAS. He would stay there, keep his capatainship and SS postion and MVP titles.

Arod would never have gone to NY, and play 3B alongside Jeter.

The Yankees would then have most likely traded Soriano for Beltran and you could go on and on, about how the butterfly effect works.

Im not knocking what this guy is saying, it is true and fun to think about but come on my situation, his situation, EVERY MOVE made in baseball or any sport can be made into a story like that. Its not lilke his thing is original or anything or mind boggoling

It's just fun to think about. Especially the fact that if Eric Young had been hitting for the Dodgers, there would have been no need to trade Pedro Martinez to the Expos to get Delino DeShields. He's right about that one... :-o
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Hey » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:40 am

Yes, but if pedro martinez was never traded he may have never been the pitcher he is today. He might not be pitching at all.
Hey. Go Mets!!
Hey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:52 am

There was a chick flick a whiel back about this too... with Gwyneth Paltrow. Don't ask me why I saw it..... but anyway, in one sub-story, she makes it past the sliding doors, gets home early, and finds her husband or boyfriend in bed with another girl. The other sub-story, she doesn't make it through the doors.... and you can pretty much fill in the rest.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers