My Old-Timers Day @ Yankee Stadium - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My Old-Timers Day @ Yankee Stadium

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My Old-Timers Day @ Yankee Stadium

Postby GrimZeke007 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:04 pm

Let's not make this a political thread, because it's not, and there's already plenty of those issues as it is. I just wanna tell everyone to take a step back today and realize how privileged you are to live in this great nation. I don't want to sound like a preachy flag-waver here, but it really just hit me again today when I was at the Yankee game. I was at Old-Timers Day, where many Yankee greats came out to be commemorated and appreciated for the great times they brought to their fans. And looking around, while the fans thanked the players, I realized how great it is that we can even DO this... There are places in the world where this doesn't happen. There are people in the world who will never experience such moments of enjoyment. ...That, while things are far from perfect here, there's a hell of a lot to appreciate. Things that those who are truly suffering would consider merely trivial. I'm definitely not amongst the wealthy in this country, but I'm not amongst the poor either. But no matter how poor you are in this country, it truly is a land of opportunity. Everyone has the OPTION to pick themselves up by the bootstraps and at least GET BY. I only get out to one or two Yankee games a year because it certainly isn't a cheap day at the ballpark. But looking at the shit that goes on in this world, I realize that I truly am rich. The fact that my biggest complaint today was that the bleacher seats made my back ache is something that makes me extraordinarily grateful. I can have a cold, clean glass of water WHEN I WANT IT. ...Sounds crazy, but that isn't a reality for everyone in the world. Seeing the many immigrant baseball players during the singing of the national anthem, who came to this country to pursue their dreams, made me truly proud that they were able to come here and do so. The fact that I could come out and enjoy a great day of baseball with thousands of awesome fans made me just step back and think where I COULD be in the world. And yes, there are other free nations where the lifestyle is almost identical to that of America. So I'm not gonna say America is the only great nation in the world, but there's also a hell of a lot of places in the world that wouldn't allow to me to decide the basic things of life. I'm glad I live in a place where the freedom to enjoy simple pleasures like baseball is available and too often taken for granted. B-)
GrimZeke007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DMXdawg » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:34 pm

Glad you appreciate, most of my classmates don't.
DMXdawg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:37 pm

Wrong! America is the only great country in the world, and maybe Canada. (just kidding foriegners who may have been offended :-D ) Imagine, this is one of the few countries in the world where we can watch baseball instead of suffering through soccer :-P
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby godallahstar » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:40 pm

if it's not a political thread, don't yap about how great this nation is.
because it's a personal opinion, wether youve been mislead by your parents or school, media or what have you.
or if you honestly believe what you say,
because you're an independent thinker.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:46 pm

Where do you live godallahstar? And Im just wondering is the word Allah in your name is just a coincidence?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby rmeesig » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:50 pm

godallahstar wrote:if it's not a political thread, don't yap about how great this nation is.
because it's a personal opinion, wether youve been mislead by your parents or school, media or what have you.

whatever... :-?
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tmoney » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:56 pm

godallahstar wrote:if it's not a political thread, don't yap about how great this nation is.

:-t Sounds like someone is jealous.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:58 pm

Mislead by school and media? I love that, since this guy if he lives in the US is a hardcore democrat and everyone knows that schools and media are made up of mostly democrats!
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby godallahstar » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:58 pm

jealous of what.......?

i live in minnesota.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby godallahstar » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:59 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Mislead by school and media? I love that, since this guy if he lives in the US is a hardcore democrat and everyone knows that schools and media are made up of mostly democrats!

wrong.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers