Jobs? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Jobs?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby osb » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:30 am

wrveres wrote:
osb wrote:not logging in the tree-cutting sense of the word... even better, i work in the natural resources exploration field... i basically run "logs" of natural gas, water, oil, coalbed methane and coal core wells... whenever a well is drilled i send a probe down the hole which shows the different formations of the well... i tell whomever i'm working for how deep the well is, the standard deviation, the temperature, how much water is in the well, where their gas pockets might be etc... the logs basically end up looking like a lie detector test with up to ten or twelve curves instead of just one...

wow,
not to hijack ...
so tell me ... what kind of impact on the region would it have if we drilled in Anwar? Not politically speakeing, but in all honesty ..

well, i can only speak from personal experience which is somewhat limited considering i'm 27 and i've only been doing this work for almost 3 years now... but my father has worked for the same coal company for 30 years and i have seen projects from colorado to southern illinois to where i am now which is sw virginia/southern west virginia... the project i'm working on right now has very stringent environmental standards they have to uphold... when a well is drilled a lot of water is used... depending on where the location of the site is, in proximity to a community, sometimes actual psa water is used-same thing you'd get out of a fire hydrant... after this water is used in the drilling process it's blown into these huge pits by the rig... now in southern illinois these pits were wide open then just covered back up when done... this was ten, fifteen years ago, so this might have changed... here these pits are all lined and then pumped and the water is then pumped into old abandoned mine shafts... now from what i understand this is a problem in wyoming right now where recent changes have allowed the water used in the drilling process to just flow on the open ground ...

so that is how we do it here... now oil well drilling is much different... whereas we've got gas coming up out of the ground, if we're drilling for oil, and we hit a gusher, then you've got oil coming up out of the ground, this doesn't happen everytime, but, i can see how, if there aren't very, very stringent rules put in place, the capability for environmental damage could be pretty bad...

also, the drilling process itself is only one step... you've got to build roads, clear trees and brush etc, all of these processes use large heavy equipment which make a lot of noise and burn diesel fuel... then if you've got a production well, you've got to plop a pump and a generator on the wellsite and hook it all together with all of your other production wells with a pipeline and power lines for the generators... which means more clearing of trees and more equipment etc...

basically, because of project i work on right now one entire county is nothing but wellsites and gravel roads... but the tradeoff here is all of the jobs created by the project...
osb
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: somewhere in the hillbilly land of southwest Virginia

Postby Hey » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:56 am

Im a student. But not really. Im a sophomore in hgh school now but i dont really care about school. I do but I just want to get into a decent college. I want to be involved with baseball in some way and be somewhat of an entrepenuer. Yep....thats gonna work out ;-D
Hey. Go Mets!!
Hey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:17 am

thanks osb ... ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:42 am

I've worked for a courier company for 4 years (since I was 16) and I also do landscaping for a friend's company a few days a week. Those 14 hour days are a killer....... can't wait til Wednesday :~(

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Baseballer02 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:01 am

Shift Manager at a Long John Silver's restaurant. Next month begin as a full-time student at the University of West Georgia, going to get a degree in Finance.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby osb » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:07 am

wrveres wrote:thanks osb ... ;-D

no problem... hope i was some help...
osb
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:17 am

osb wrote:

just curious of the envionmental impact ...
Basically its just like placing any small city in one of the most desolute places on earth. Kinda of like Canada. ;-7

A few trees and a few rocks moved, but overall not that big of a deal, right?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby osb » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:31 am

wrveres wrote:
osb wrote:

just curious of the envionmental impact ...
Basically its just like placing any small city in one of the most desolute places on earth. Kinda of like Canada. ;-7

A few trees and a few rocks moved, but overall not that big of a deal, right?

not really, but of course that wilderness is gone for years, if not forever... it really all depends on how invasive they wish to be... roads don't have to be graveled... and you'd have to think that if this is indeed going to be in the middle of nowhere, you're going to have to build a city for the workers to live...

of course i say "not really", but i'm kinda biased.... ya know
osb
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:49 am

LBJackal wrote:I've worked for a courier company for 4 years (since I was 16) and I also do landscaping for a friend's company a few days a week. Those 14 hour days are a killer....... can't wait til Wednesday :~(

Forgot to add.... I'm entering my second year of university. I'm not gonna be sorting boxes for air mail for the rest of my life, that's for sure :-°

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:06 am

21 Year old College Senior at the University of Oklahoma, Double Major - MIS and Finance. I will most likely pursue the MIS field rather than Finance when I graduate though.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk