What do you think of the all-star game counting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do you think of the all-star game counting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby josebach » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:42 pm

Amazinz wrote:Who talks about the blown save by Gagne in the AS game? The media? They hype everything. Maybe it's different in your circle of friends but when my buddy's and I get together for a few beers and talk ball we're more likely to talk about Gibson's HR in '88 then we are Blalock's shot. IME fans don't give a rat's ass about the AS game but maybe it's different for you. ;-)

Well, while you and your friends are talking about Kirk Gibson in a game 16 years ago, I'll be watching Roger Clemens pitch in the all star game. Have a good time, I know I will!!! ;-D
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:15 pm

BobbyRoberto wrote:This year, Schilling won't pitch in it, Schmidt's team and manager don't want him pitching in it.

I know that the Giants are paying Schmidt but I find it funny that they pitch him until his arm falls off every game yet they don't want him to pitch an inning tonight.

josebach wrote:
thehat wrote:No way I buy any of what you're saying. Everyone plays 162 games...best record gets the home field. If one team has a scheduling advantage over another, that's the way it goes. Works fine in the NFL, NBA, NHL and it's no different in MLB.

Ok, lets just agree to disagree. It is a matter of opinion after all.

But for the sake of argument, lets break it down to the basics.

The worst possible outcome of having the all-star game count for something is that there is a 50% chance that the less deserving of the two teams might get home field advantage during the World Series. This of course equates to 1 home game that might not be deserved.

On the other hand, making the all star count for something in many peoples minds makes the game a lot more interesting and exciting. This in turn will increase ratings and bring more publicity to baseball. Oh, and the slogan "This time it counts" may be trite to a lot of us that are already fans, but who knows how many people this will attract that wouldn't otherwise be interested?

IMHO, making the all-star game count for something can be nothing but good for the game. All of us here are fans to a certain extent. I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why so many on this site are so adamantly against something that in all likelihood will help the sport.

Besides, having home field advantage didn't exactly help the Yankees last year, did it?

1 game by itself might not mean much but we aren't talking about just any game. We are talking about a potential game 7 of the WS. Whether it matters or not, all teams would rather have that game at home.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:34 pm

I highly disagree. I think that having the home field advantage has very little importance. Getting 3 in the middle can get you tons of momentum in the series, and also can give you a lead, putting pressure on the other team. Overall, it seems that home field advantage has little to no importance, so the AS game really does not count.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:44 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:I highly disagree. I think that having the home field advantage has very little importance. Getting 3 in the middle can get you tons of momentum in the series, and also can give you a lead, putting pressure on the other team. Overall, it seems that home field advantage has little to no importance, so the AS game really does not count.

I don't really care but if you say that it has little imprtance, then you are saying that it has some. Personally, I would rather they just give home field to the team with the best record and leave it at that.

While we're on the topic of stupid AS game stuff, why don't they just use the DH every year?? Even purists should agree that there is no need to see Mark Mulder hit in an AS game.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers