What do you think of the all-star game counting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do you think of the all-star game counting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:34 pm

Ajax wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I think it stinks. Do you think it's fair that a team can have the best record in baseball, make it all the way to the WS and then lose home-field advantage because their league lost the AS game? I don't.

It's no less fair than having the team with the best record making it to the WS, and not getting home-field advantage just because it wasn't their league's turn to have it.

Agreed. I didn't like that method either. I would do one of two things:

1. Best overall record gets WS home field advantage

2. League with best interleague record that year gets home field advantage
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ajax » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:36 pm

Having the all-star game "count" is really about two separate questions:

1. Is it a good way to decide the home-field advantage for the WS?
2. Does it help or hurt the all-star game?

I think it's no worse a way to determine home-field advantage than was done previously (alternating between leagues). In either case, the two WS teams each have a 50/50 chance at home-field advantage and it's decided for reasons that have nothing to do with either team's performance. There are probably more than a few better ways to decide home-field advantage in the WS.

Having it "count" helps the all-star game, if for no other reason, than it eliminates the chance of a tie.
Ajax
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:02 pm

Ajax wrote:Having it "count" helps the all-star game, if for no other reason, than it eliminates the chance of a tie.

I disagree about this point. Nobody cared about the AS game before it counted and nobody really cares about now. At least from my perspective.

Having the game's player voted in as a fan popularity contest and then making the game count is a sham. It's not good for anything other than making Selig look like an even bigger ass. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:14 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Ajax wrote:Having it "count" helps the all-star game, if for no other reason, than it eliminates the chance of a tie.

I disagree about this point. Nobody cared about the AS game before it counted and nobody really cares about now. At least from my perspective.

Having the game's player voted in as a fan popularity contest and then making the game count is a sham. It's not good for anything other than making Selig look like an even bigger ass. ;-)

Everybody said he looked like an ass when the all star game 2 years ago was called a tie because both sides ran out of pitchers. Don't you remember how pissed everbody was? Then, he offers an effective solution to solve the problem (which I seem to remember everybody praising him at the time) and now he's an ass again. For a year, people have been talking about Blalock's homerun off of Gagne in last year's game. Do you think anybody would care or even remember if the game was meaningless?

I'm not exactly a Bud Selig fan, but it seems the guy can't win no matter what he does... and I'm not just talking about the all-star game either. It just seems he gets blamed for everything.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:31 pm

josebach wrote:For a year, people have been talking about Blalock's homerun off of Gagne in last year's game. Do you think anybody would care or even remember if the game was meaningless?

Who talks about the blown save by Gagne in the AS game? The media? They hype everything. Maybe it's different in your circle of friends but when my buddy's and I get together for a few beers and talk ball we're more likely to talk about Gibson's HR in '88 then we are Blalock's shot. IME fans don't give a rat's ass about the AS game but maybe it's different for you. ;-)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:53 pm

I agree with amazinz here about not talking about the all-star game. Also, go back about 50 years, and u will see all-star games that were played for fun and managers/teams that gave effort. It did not count back then. They played for fun and for pride. Maybe some sort of evil punishment for the losers ;-D would make the game more enjoyable and get people to watch,.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby josebach » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:01 pm

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Fair or Not Fair is most definitely up for debate. What isn't up for debate (IMO) is that having the all-star game determine home field advantage brings a broader audience than otherwise would watch it. If this is true, how can this be anything but good for the game? How is having the National League and American League swapping home field advantage better? As a fan, shouldn't we want baseball to have a broader audience? Baseball ratings right now are higher than they've been in years. I think the all-star game (regardless as to how much) is at least partly responsible for that. And for all you "hardcore" fans that talk down to someone because they that don't know who won the Cy Young in 1960,... baseball needs fans that aren't hardcore too, you know. All fans are good for the game. Maybe one day, Baseball will once again be America's greatest pasttime.

(I also think fantasy is greatly responsible for increased baseball ratings and attendance.)
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:01 pm

You will never convince me that alternating the home-field advantage is better than this. Ultimately, season records should determine WS home field, but this is fun, and I like it. I like that it should make the managers manage a more effective game instead of the previous "everoyone plays" mentality that was boring as hell.

To reiterate, no matter what you say, the current system is better than simply alternating the home-field advantage.

-Stl
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:12 pm

StlSluggers wrote:To reiterate, no matter what you say, the current system is better than simply alternating the home-field advantage.

I think you're preaching to the choir. No one in this thread said that the alternating method was superior to the AS game method. Neither work.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Tavish » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:16 pm

Amazinz wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:To reiterate, no matter what you say, the current system is better than simply alternating the home-field advantage.

I think you're preaching to the choir. No one in this thread said that the alternating method was superior to the AS game method. Neither work.

Both work, home field advantage doesn't really matter. They could give home field to the team with the highest combined weight and it wouldn't really matter.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers