What do you think of the all-star game counting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do you think of the all-star game counting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What do you think of the all-star game counting

Postby ja515y » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:32 pm

I'm just wondering, because a lot of people obviously don't think it's right. I think it's actually kind of cool. I mean sure, it might not be 100% fair, but when your watching the game you can feel the tension. It is more entertaining, cause your forcing the players to actually try hard.
ja515y
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:37 pm

If the fans vote it shouldn't count. If the managers decide all the players then Im fine with it counting, but the fans screw too much crap up like Giambi and Jeter.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BigMusky » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:42 pm

How would that work? I am assuming you mean for a roto style league. That would be brutal in a H2H league because I have about five more all-stars then the guy I am facing. I do not think he has any now that I think of it. Of course, Gagne could blow up in there like he did last year!
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:52 pm

He wasnt talking about accumulating stats for the all star game! He was talking about the winners league having home field advantage in the WS!

Relax with the name calling. Lofunzo was here.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BigMusky » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:57 pm

real life...what is that :)

I think the team with the best record should have homefield advantage, but we all remember why the All-star game counts.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:02 pm

I think it stinks. Do you think it's fair that a team can have the best record in baseball, make it all the way to the WS and then lose home-field advantage because their league lost the AS game? I don't.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:15 pm

I think it is stupid. The All-Star game has always been an exhibition and to change that in the last few years is as stupid as it is unfair. For it to be fair, so much would have to be changed about it, starting with fan voting, voting one rep from each team, etc. It would be important to go with your best 9 and not try to get everyone in. The game was fine the way it was, and I'm not a fan of this. :-t
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby wallyrus » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:31 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think it stinks. Do you think it's fair that a team can have the best record in baseball, make it all the way to the WS and then lose home-field advantage because their league lost the AS game? I don't.

I completely agree.
"Do you ever just get down on your knees and thank God that you know me and have access to my dementia?"
- George Costanza
wallyrus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thehat » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:33 pm

The idea of the All Star game counting for anything is absurd. Why MLB remains in the dark ages about determining home field for each series (obviously, it should be based on the better regular season record) is totally beyond my understanding.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby josebach » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:39 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think it stinks. Do you think it's fair that a team can have the best record in baseball, make it all the way to the WS and then lose home-field advantage because their league lost the AS game? I don't.

What if the team with the best record in baseball was also in the weakest division? or their interleague schedule was the easiest in the MLB? What if interleague statistical evidence shows one league being significantly better than the other? Should the team with the best record still have home field advantage if their league was not as good as the other?

Having the best record in baseball is worth a lot. It guarantees them having home field advantage through the pennant. It should not give them home field advantage against a team in a different league.

Doesn't everybody remember how pissed everybody was when the all star game two years ago ended in a tie? The all-star game is the greatest exhibition game in all of sports (U.S. sports that is). Giving an award to the team that wins will only make more people watch it... a fact which I think everybody can agree is good for baseball.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers