Start Maddux? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Start Maddux?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Start Maddux?

Postby Doc » Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:47 am

I'm in a head to head league. I'm up in wins, era, whip, everything pitching related. He only has one starter going today (although he could get some wins from his closers).

I have: Leiter, Maddux and Oswalt going. Should I bench Maddux for fear of my ERA ballooning? And what about Leiter in the pee-wee park down south?
Doc

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:56 am

If you already have enough wins to beat him, and are far ahead in WHIP and ERA to the point that he can't catch up with just one starter, I would bench all three of them just to make sure you win the three categories. I would not start Maddux until he gets it together because he could very likely get it handed to him again. Leiter is a shaky pitcher at the best of times and I wouldn't start him in Puerto Rico . Unless you need strikeouts, I would also think about benching Oswalt, because he is playing at a big time batters park in Houston and is pitching against one of the best offences in baseball. There is the possibility that Pujols, Edmonds and Rolen could really bang him up so don't take the chance unless you need to.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

I'll be more specific

Postby Doc » Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:07 pm

R HR RBI SB AVG W SV K ERA WHIP Score
30 8 27 3 .278 4 4 41 2.49 1.22 9
23 6 18 1 .286 2 2 40 3.92 1.31 1

Here's the lines. (I'm on the top.)

He has Kevin Brown going.

So I should want to start Oswalt, if only to ensure that I have a lot of Ks (I'm only up one.)

But should I start Leiter... It's quite possible that KB gets one more K than Oswalt.

Thoughts?
Doc

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:14 pm

I would not start Leiter in Puerto Rico; Maddux in Florida might be a better option because he's pitching in a pitchers park and has to kick out of it sometime. You could also decide to just throw the K category altogether and start noone, protecting your lead in ERA and WHIP. Unless Brown pitches a no-hitter, it's unlikely he can beat you in ERA and probably not in WHIP either. And as long as his hitters don't have massive days, you probably have runs, RBI and average sown up. Personally, I would just sit all my pitchers and not risk it.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers