BJ Upton update: Upton should be up by August - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BJ Upton update: Upton should be up by August

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:36 am

I won't say he will have an impact at 19, cause he easily could fall right on his face. I will say that all you have to do is look at his numbers in the minors to know he is already a pretty unique player.

Also, just to nit-pick some, it's hard to put Mays, Mantle, Aaron, or any other old timer in a conversation with new players these days. It was a different time in baseball overall.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:42 am

Yes Upton will most likely struggle in his first stint this year and then be fine next year. But I'm not sure what you guys are getting out of trying to prove this. It doesn't change the fact that if you have a low waiver pick he is a worthwhile gamble. Upton and Wright have been pretty damn good so far so you might get lucky and one of them might be the exception to the rule.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:45 am

Amazinz wrote:Yes Upton will most likely struggle in his first stint this year and then be fine next year. But I'm not sure what you guys are getting out of trying to prove this. It doesn't change the fact that if you have a low waiver pick he is a worthwhile gamble. Upton and Wright have been pretty damn good so far so you might get lucky and one of them might be the exception to the rule.

well said ;-D
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Bukoski77 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:04 am

Upton called up in August? GRRrrhHH :-/ . Under the constraints of one of my very competetive $$ leagues, if he gets under 65 at bats I can carry him as a free keeper. After 65 at bats he will cost me one of my keeper slots.

It was a little of a long shot to stay under that with a late August/early September call up as was. With a mid to early August call up, under 65 AB is a lost cause.

He has major defensive short comeings so far though. Here is to a rough 0-20AB 5error's big league pitching adjustment followed bye a quick demotion, lol :-B .

Hybird, will he really be even better than A-Rod? Should I hold onto him with one of my limited keeper slots :-D ?
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby godallahstar » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:19 am

better than A-Rod?
definitely.
seriously though.
within the next few years, an all star,
probably.
we all know there is no sure thing with prospects, some obviously have a much better shot at turning into one of the greats, but it all comes in time.

i have a pair of 7th row tickets, to watch the rays vs the twins, in the metrodome on july 21st.

i bought them a while ago in hopes i would see either upton or gathright, but i won't be too sad if i see neither....
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers