BJ Upton update: Upton should be up by August - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BJ Upton update: Upton should be up by August

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:20 am

Amazinz wrote:
warrick95 wrote:In Keeper leagues, he's money. Of course, you wouldn't want him Amazinz. :-D If you get him, would you prefer Reyes?

Hey if Upton is outplaying Reyes then I want him. Personal fan bias aside I play FB to win. That's the only reason I have one of those pathetic Yankmes on my team. :-D

I dunno, man. Honestly, I think it'll be close. If you take into consideration positions, it makes sense for me to pull it...probably for you, too, IMO. Don't know what you think, though. Also, being a D-Ray fan (and this ain't a money league), I don't mind taking bias into the game.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:12 pm

Does anybody want to name me a 19 year old who stepped in and provided good fantasy value in his first couple months in the majors? Look at the stat lines of two other vaunted 19 year old shortstops--Sheffield and ARod. Two of the greatest pure hitters of their generation and they had aboninable stats in their first call-ups. Of course Upton has value in a keeper league, but it is ludicrous to suggest that hhe is anything more than a long-shot to provide good value for this year; in a non-keeper league I would not even want him on my team unless it was like a 25 team league, much less sit on a #2 waiver priority for him.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:22 pm

stumpak wrote:Does anybody want to name me a 19 year old who stepped in and provided good fantasy value in his first couple months in the majors? Look at the stat lines of two other vaunted 19 year old shortstops--Sheffield and ARod. Two of the greatest pure hitters of their generation and they had aboninable stats in their first call-ups. Of course Upton has value in a keeper league, but it is ludicrous to suggest that hhe is anything more than a long-shot to provide good value for this year; in a non-keeper league I would not even want him on my team unless it was like a 25 team league, much less sit on a #2 waiver priority for him.

At this point in the season if you have a low waiver priority what else are you going to use it on other than Upton or Wright? Are they long shots? Absolutely. But they are low risk, high reward waiver pickups.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:07 pm

I agree that he is quite young, but as others have said, who else are you going to use it on this late in the season? Might as well take the risk and hope it pays off.

Ok on this next part I'm NOT comparing him to A-Rod. Everyone got me? I don't want people commenting saying I did after I post this.

If you look at A-Rod he started playing in the minors at 19 (for the most part) and was called up after playing very well all levels that year. Where he didn't play to well in the bigs. I think a good difference in thinking that Upton could help out some, is Upton has been in the minors a full year longer then Alex was at this point in his minor league career. So that is one his side, and you take some risks in FB sometimes. If not on Upton or Wright, who on, some barely decent SP a team just dropped?

Let me finish with saying I have not compared to 2 players. Merely stated that Upton has been in the minors longer so he has more experience then A-Rod did. I'm not saying Upton is as good as him or even has that type of potential.

Ok, I really hope I made that clear enough for everyone out there. ;-)
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:10 pm

hybrid wrote:I agree that he is quite young, but as others have said, who else are you going to use it on this late in the season? Might as well take the risk and hope it pays off.

Ok on this next part I'm NOT comparing him to A-Rod. Everyone got me? I don't want people commenting saying I did after I post this.

If you look at A-Rod he started playing in the minors at 19 (for the most part) and was called up after playing very well all levels that year. Where he didn't play to well in the bigs. I think a good difference in thinking that Upton could help out some, is Upton has been in the minors a full year longer then Alex was at this point in his minor league career. So that is one his side, and you take some risks in FB sometimes. If not on Upton or Wright, who on, some barely decent SP a team just dropped?

Let me finish with saying I have not compared to 2 players. Merely stated that Upton has been in the minors longer so he has more experience then A-Rod did. I'm not saying Upton is as good as him or even has that type of potential.

Ok, I really hope I made that clear enough for everyone out there. ;-)

Are you saying Upton is better than A-Rod right now?? 8-o 8-o

O:-)
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:11 pm

slomo007 wrote:Are you saying Upton is better than A-Rod right now?? 8-o 8-o

The nerve of some people. Blasphemy. :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:14 pm

Amazinz wrote:

lol, trust me guys, if I didn't say it that many times you know I would of gotten much more then sarcastic responses. :-b
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:15 pm

hybrid wrote:
Amazinz wrote:

lol, trust me guys, if I didn't say it that many times you know I would of gotten much more then sarcastic responses. :-b

Sadly, you're right. :-S
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby jbones733 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:50 pm

stumpak wrote:Does anybody want to name me a 19 year old who stepped in and provided good fantasy value in his first couple months in the majors? Look at the stat lines of two other vaunted 19 year old shortstops--Sheffield and ARod. Two of the greatest pure hitters of their generation and they had aboninable stats in their first call-ups. Of course Upton has value in a keeper league, but it is ludicrous to suggest that hhe is anything more than a long-shot to provide good value for this year; in a non-keeper league I would not even want him on my team unless it was like a 25 team league, much less sit on a #2 waiver priority for him.

Jose Reyes was very valuable to my team down the stretch befpore he got hurt lat year, Miggy Cabrera wasnt bad either for a waiver guy, sounds like this is a cat w a low waiver priority who is upset
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby wkelly91 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:59 pm

If Upton has an impact at 19 he will be truly unique.

20-Griffey 455-ab, .264-61-16-61, 16-sb
19-A.Jones 106-ab .217-11-5-13, 3-sb
20-Cabrera 314-ab .268-39-12-62, 0-sb
19-A-Rod 54-ab .204-4-0-2, 3-sb
20-Sheff 80-ab .238-12-4-12, 3-sb
20-Aaron 468-ab .280-58-13-69
20-Mays 464-ab .274-59-20-68, 7-sb
20-Mantle 341-ab .267-61-13-65

:-?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager