BJ Upton update: Upton should be up by August - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BJ Upton update: Upton should be up by August

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BJ Upton update: Upton should be up by August

Postby Krunk City King$ » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:22 pm

B.J. Upton, SS TB

News: Devil Rays general manager Chuck LaMar told the St. Petersburg Times that B.J. Upton is one of five players who should be promoted to the majors by early August. Upton is batting .323 with 12 home runs and 26 RBI in 52 games since being promoted to Triple-A Durham.

Analysis: Defensive questions are the only thing that have kept Upton in the minors for this long. There's no question he'll be an impact bat once he's promoted, but his struggles in the field might hinder his overall performance initially.

on a side note, i just snagged up Gathright (1 of 5 rays that should get called up) off of the waiver wire...dood that i played last week finally dropped him.

;-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbones733 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:06 pm

thats good news because at the Furute games yesterday they said September, hes # 1 on my list ti pick up i got waiver prioity # 2
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:16 pm

jbones733 wrote:thats good news because at the Furute games yesterday they said September, hes # 1 on my list ti pick up i got waiver prioity # 2

Everything I have read says they won't bring him up until the rosters expand which is August 31 I believe. But maybe KCK's update is more up-to-date.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby King Tim » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:40 pm

I've been waiting for a year and a half for him to get to the pros. I play in a deep dynasty league and have been dealing with Cintron and A. Gonzalez (fla) as my SS. Move over boys and make room for Bossman ;-D ;-D
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wkelly91 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:04 pm

I have Berroa. God I need Upton :~(
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:21 pm

KCK's info comes from what Lamar said right before the last Rays/Yanks game (was watching the interview). So it is the most update info on the matter.

Oh yeah and jbones, don't listen to Gammons or the ESPN crew. They made more mistakes that game then I can even remember.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby stumpak » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:26 am

I wouldn't save a #2 waiver priority for him. He's a rookie for christsakes.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:38 am

stumpak wrote:I wouldn't save a #2 waiver priority for him. He's a rookie for christsakes.

A great gamble even in redraft leagues. He's young and has adapted quickly hitting in any league they've moved him to. If he adapts to MLB pitching quick enough you just got yourself a pretty damn good SS for free. In AL-only leagues he's even more valuable.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:13 am

In Keeper leagues, he's money. Of course, you wouldn't want him Amazinz. :-D If you get him, would you prefer Reyes? I have Weeks at 2B, but won't have an SS of the future. You've got Khalil at SS and I believe Phillips will go back to SS when Vizquel retires, while you have only O-Dawg at 2nd.

BTW, where'd you hear that tidbit on Upton only being up for September callups? He's coming to Richmond in late August and I'd like to catch him there, if possible, so it'd be ideal if he were kept down until at least then.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:16 am

warrick95 wrote:In Keeper leagues, he's money. Of course, you wouldn't want him Amazinz. :-D If you get him, would you prefer Reyes?

Hey if Upton is outplaying Reyes then I want him. Personal fan bias aside I play FB to win. That's the only reason I have one of those pathetic Yankmes on my team. :-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers