Biggest Mistake you made this year so Far? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Biggest Mistake you made this year so Far?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby grammysboy » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:17 am

I picked up both Jack Wilson and Ronnie Belliard from the free agent pile In April when they were both hot. After reading here at the cafe all winter, I listened to the logic that players will return to their career average and just flat dropped them in early June. (Each time I tried to trade one, the other owner would say, "who?") Now both are on the all-start teams.

The lesson I learned from this is ride a hot player who is performing way above his predictable level like a "quarter whore" and wait to drop him until he begins to actually fall off in performance. There was nothing in the statistical history of these two players that would have predicted their first half performance.

I also traded Clemons for Mussina after Clemens' third win. Moose has been only average, at best. Clemens has been great.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:31 am

Well, I'm feeling a little better. :-D

Really my worst moves were:

Drafting Mussina. :-o

Pegged Cintron as a nice sleeper. Oops. :-o

Waited in one league for a catcher since I pegged Jason Phillips as a nice sleeper. Oops. :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:37 am

well, the first one was on draft day when i accidentally took nomar instead of manny in the second round. I simply mis-clicked. Yahoo had them right next to each other, and i simply clicked the wrong one. T_T and considering tejada could have been my 4th round pick instead of ichiro, my team would've looked quite different and been hella-better.

then, with nomar out, i counted on reyes to come back in the two weeks like he was supposed to. a third of the season later, nomar returns first and i'm 50 games off the mark at SS.

then, i mis-clicked yet again, dropping nathan rather than herges for urbina (both the theory and the execution were pretty poor in this situation ;-)

all said and done, i'm still in 4th place in a 12 team league, so i don't feel too bad...

things i've learned: have someone healthy at every position all the time. don't wait out two injuries in one position and just not start anyone.

oh, and double-check before you click :-p
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:39 am

Madison wrote:Pegged Cintron as a nice sleeper. Oops. :-o

As did I but only in the 25th round.

Good = Getting Schmidt in the 9th round. ;-D

Bad = Waiting for 1 more start from Santana a while ago when he was on the WW. He didn't make it to me. :-t
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:49 am

Lofunzo wrote:

Yeah, I took both Cintron and Phillips really late. I just get frustrated when some of my "sure-fire" sleepers don't pan out. :-[
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Spokes » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:53 am

I am in 2nd place in my points league, down by 350 points, but I am trailing the guy in first by 800 points in strikeouts. So, my mistake came at the draft in not drafting enough K pitchers. That's why I just got Schmidt and Clement.
Also, I took Austin Kearns over J.D. Drew, but who knew.
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:07 am

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Yeah, I took both Cintron and Phillips really late. I just get frustrated when some of my "sure-fire" sleepers don't pan out. :-[

Some perrennial cellar-dwellar in 1 of my leagues picked Phillips in the 7th round. I still laugh when I think about it. :-) :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:14 am

Lofunzo wrote:Some perrennial cellar-dwellar in 1 of my leagues picked Phillips in the 7th round. I still laugh when I think about it. :-) :-°

Oh wow 8-o ! Now that move certainly qualifies as a huge mistake this year. Lmao! :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:25 am

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Some perrennial cellar-dwellar in 1 of my leagues picked Phillips in the 7th round. I still laugh when I think about it. :-) :-°

Oh wow 8-o ! Now that move certainly qualifies as a huge mistake this year. Lmao! :-D

He even said that he knew that we would laugh when he made the pick. 8-o I did. I told him that he could have gotten him at least 10 rounds later but he didn't care. :-B
Lofunzo

Postby shill88 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:35 am

Drafting post Balco Giambi 17th overall.

Trading Ichiro for Renteria
shill88
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers