An Exposé on the Montreal Situation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

An Exposé on the Montreal Situation

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

An Exposé on the Montreal Situation

Postby menyak » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:38 pm

Expos exposed in an Exposé by Brian Grindrod! Ever wondered what's going on in Montreal? Don't miss Brian's excellent analysis! ;-D
"Never argue with an idiot. People won't know who's who."
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:13 am

Good article. ;-D

Sad to see a franchise in such a populated area fail. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:53 pm

Enjoyed the article. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Will you believe this sh*t?

Postby M_Diego » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:15 am

Bud Selig is doing everything to move the Expos to the national capital. He thinks the best cities are Washington DC and Norhern Va.; that means instant death for the new team since Baltimore is only 40 miles away. Obviously most people will prefer to go to the beautiful Oriole Park at Camden Yards than RFK Stadium.

The attendance in Montreal increased 70% these last 2 seasons when the Expos finished with positive record. I spend 10 months here since August 2003 until June 2004. In late august this team was in the Wild Card Race and I was glad to see good attendance levels, between 20000 and 30000 fans. Unfortunately they fell short because they only played 6 games in Montreal in september.

What happens next season? MLB instead of supporting the idea of keeping this team in Montreal made a heartless schedule with periods of more than 1 month outside their home, despite the players told they wanted to play all their 81 home games in just one place. All that you can expect is a team having the worst record...and nobody prefers to see a last place team.

Let's analyze the situation:
1) All the other 29 teams control the Expos money, since they own the team and play against it at the same time that automatically kill the Expos and they never keep their stars because they never have money.
2) Last season MLB didn't give money to the Expos to make contracts when they were in the WildCard race.
3) The WORST of this. The interleague series Jays-Expos was played in Puerto Rico, including the Canada Day 1st july. Do you think it was casually? That's an insult to canadians.

If you think the playoffs won't bring more fans, jut look at the Marlins. They averaged about 15000 fans per game last season (only 6 years after being champions) and now they are among the best.

I never was an Expos fan but it's good for the sport to have a team outside the U.S. The Expos have 36 years of tradition (they are not the D'Rays for example), once they had the best attendances in the league.

No city will be able to support the team, most teams have financial problems. Keep in mind that the remaining of the Washington are called now Minnesota Twins and Texas Rangers.

It will be more pathetic when Montreal have a AAA team...with better attendance levels than the Expos now.

I hope Bud Selig is happy when the Expos are moved. All this happens with an "independent" comish. This corrupt dictator have to go soon. All I just want to say him is "thanks for ruinning the sport".
M_Diego
T-Ball Trainer

Postby d » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:00 pm

Thanks for the article! ;-D

It is just sad to see the Expos plays these days.
d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby dryice » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:33 pm

yea, 70% sounds like a lot...

... but going from 7 to 10 ain't much, especially when the 3 are popcorn vendors.

article made no sense?

what faceless players did the Montreal team degenerate to?

Vlad Gererro aint' good enough for 'em?

spend money to make money..

any idiot who'd invest the money to resign Gurrero, knowing the team would be playing in MONTREAL, would be to too stupid to breathe, much less to have the wherewithal.

hey, there's many deserving cows and cow pastures that would appreciate MLB more than Montreal.

move'em to one
dryice
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pgbridge2000 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:13 pm

Hey don't criticize a good post so badly... so points of logic aren't great but he is right that it is not the expos fault for their demise. They don't have the money to keep players ala. Pedro, Vlad. They don't have the money to take risks ala. keeping El Duque. And their stadium isn't that nice... I was there on a trip, it isn't that great a stadium (though I've seen worse) even the players try to make the game interesting, every player (except Nick Johnson) obliged the fans with autographs for anyone who hung over the tunnel with a ball and pen, the people running the stadium are nice (as opposed to Shea where you can't even access the good food without a premium ticket) except that since there are few people they catch everyone who tries to move up seats in the 6th. And the food there is very good (they serve french food and stuff at the concessions stands) my only real complaints are the seats which aren't good and the layout of the stadium. The team and organization does the best the can with almost no resources. I think they should be applauded for their efforts (which many teams could take a lesson from) and it should be a sad day when they move.

--Peter
mailto:pbg5000@optonline.net
There are 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
pgbridge2000
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BCGrindrod » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:23 pm

ADDENDUM TO THE ARTICLE (of sorts)

I attended the Expos' final game of their franchise history last night. What should have been a gathering to say 'Au Revoir' and 'Thanks for The Memories' ended up in a display at how (once again), Montrealers lack class. They had to make things ugly. I said it before and I say it again; Montreal is not a sports city. Its people just jump on bandwagons on whatever is the flavour du jour...

They haven't give a damn about the Expos since 1994 (myself included). So why conduct like Trailer Park Trash at the Expos' last game in Montreal?

Yep, throwing golf balls and debris at the players (which could result in an injury) really demonstrated to reporters, viewers and sports fans why the city is not dignified to have a MLB franchise. Another great demonstration at how the Quebec sports media has a warped sense of view; Some were accusing Coach Robinson of 'hogging the show' when he ordered his players off the field (for security reasons) when golf balls were being thrown. Nuff said!

Hopefully, the franchise will finally get an owner that will make Washington vibe to MLB (Senators?).

Best,

- Brian
BCGrindrod
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:48 pm

That's a pretty sad display by the fans. :-t

Hopefully the Expos (or whatever they will be called) will get a better home and some more appreciative fans.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Article Discussions