TBS reports Beltran - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

TBS reports Beltran

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BobbyRoberto » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:06 am

Well, Beltran is a deserving All-Star. What should they do with him? Let him play on the AL All-Star team, where the players and managers voted for him? Not let him be an All-Star at all?

When it comes right down to it, what I see happening is that MLB has added Beltran to the game and Berkman to the HR Derby, both of those guys play for the host team and should generate even more hometown fan interest.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thetongueofire » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:07 am

i also dont think that it should "count".. but Beltran has clearly played up to AS levels... and even the AL players chose him. whether he should be in there for the NL is a tricky question. :-?
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:06 am

he isn't one of the best players in the NL?

I don't fully subscribe to the "better year" theory all the time. After all, the year is only half over. There has to be balance, and it can't all be name -- but career does have something to do with it, in addition the real pecking order be established. He is a true star, he is the NL, so he should be in it IMO.. Even if he displaces someone "more deserving".HE is by all accounts better than anyone else who isn't in the game isn't he? why shouldn't he be a replacement?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bell » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:58 am

great gretzky wrote:he isn't one of the best players in the NL?

I don't fully subscribe to the "better year" theory all the time. After all, the year is only half over. There has to be balance, and it can't all be name -- but career does have something to do with it, in addition the real pecking order be established. He is a true star, he is the NL, so he should be in it IMO.. Even if he displaces someone "more deserving".HE is by all accounts better than anyone else who isn't in the game isn't he? why shouldn't he be a replacement?

Apparently that's the same logic that got Giambi into the All-Star game over players like Hatteberg, Konerko, Hafner, etc.

As for the NL, I do believe that Finley and Ramirez are more deserving than Beltran.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Surfs up » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:42 am

Bell I totally agree with your last post. We have players in the game that are there because of last year or because of their career. They don't belong . Yes the season is only half over but the players with the best numbers THIS YEAR should be voted in . And voted in by managers and NOT the fans.
Beltran should be playing . He didn't ask to get traded. But thats my opinion.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 260)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers