Did KC rush Mike Wood? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Did KC rush Mike Wood?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Did KC rush Mike Wood?

Postby Zito is God » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:49 pm

I understand that KC needs the help now...in every department, but this was not needed. Mike Wood has stuff to be a remarkable pitcher, he needed another year (IMO), maybe even 2 to get himself set up for the majors, instead management decided tio go ahead and throw him in the rotation and now hes bieng lit up and bruised emotionally. They are far from bieng in the race anyways, what was the point. Was this the right move by KC? I don't think so.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Did KC rush Mike Wood?

Postby GSes » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:58 pm

Zito is God wrote:I understand that KC needs the help now...in every department, but this was not needed. Mike Wood has stuff to be a remarkable pitcher, he needed another year (IMO), maybe even 2 to get himself set up for the majors, instead management decided tio go ahead and throw him in the rotation and now hes bieng lit up and bruised emotionally. They are far from bieng in the race anyways, what was the point. Was this the right move by KC? I don't think so.

Wood isnt that huge of a prospect IMO, he is already 26 so a few more years he would be 28? His time is now or next season, sure his AAA numbers are great, but he is never going to be anthing special, I view him like aaron Harang, both were great AAA but can't trasnfer that to the Major league level.

Everyone just went crazy when wood was traded, if Billy Beanne thought he was that great and could replace zito or mulder or hudson he would have kept him. Wood isnt projected to be more then a middle to end of rotation type of guy
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:47 pm

Mike Wood and remarkable should not be used in the same sentence. He's actually just 24 (not 26) but no matter his age, he is not a top prospect. Some people project him as a back of the rotation starter, although I think he'll end up as a situational reliever. He's succeeded in the minors with a very good sinker, but with a mid 80's fastball, his big league starting prospects are limited.

As for his being called up too soon, what you're seeing is about what you're going to get. It's already his second full year at AAA and he's already established that he's capable of pitching at that level.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby GSes » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:58 pm

thehat wrote:Mike Wood and remarkable should not be used in the same sentence. He's actually just 24 (not 26) but no matter his age, he is not a top prospect. Some people project him as a back of the rotation starter, although I think he'll end up as a situational reliever. He's succeeded in the minors with a very good sinker, but with a mid 80's fastball, his big league starting prospects are limited.

As for his being called up too soon, what you're seeing is about what you're going to get. It's already his second full year at AAA and he's already established that he's capable of pitching at that level.

your right, he is 24, but ya we both said sord of the same thing, Wood isnt going to amount to much
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KevB » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:33 am

KC's GM Allard Baird said after the trade that Wood was a back of the rotation starter, perhaps a long reliever. They didn't have savior expectations for this guy. They're letting him get his feet wet in the rotation because, frankly, they've got nobody better at this point. He's performed about as you'd expect. If he walks guys, he's in trouble. if he doesn't he can probably be league average.
KevB
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers