Rank 'em -- Suppan, Marquis, Capuano, Wright, Greinke - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rank 'em -- Suppan, Marquis, Capuano, Wright, Greinke

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rank 'em -- Suppan, Marquis, Capuano, Wright, Greinke

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:08 pm

Who's going to be the best 2nd half choice out of these 5? Right now, Suppan's a man on a mission, but can it last? All 5 are available on waivers in my league, and I'm looking for a solid starter to round out my rotation.

Thanks guys ;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Smizzy » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:25 pm

Id have to narrow it down to marquis and suppan.
"Clutch does exist, I've got one in my car"--BobbyRoberto
Smizzy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:30 pm

I have Greinke in half my leagues, and decided to let him go in the other half. The kid is obviously gonna be worth something great in keeper leagues, and will surely toss some gems in the second half... but I'm just worried about rookie inconsistancy
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:29 pm

I feel the same way about Greinke. That's one of the reasons why I'm avoiding Armas and Jackson too.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby d18Mike » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:13 pm

You're kiddin', right?Grienke has a 1.09 WHIP and has yet to have a really disastrous outing in a half year of play.

Suppan and Marquis are the very definition of wildly inconsistent. And both have been throughout their careers.

I'm not saying the Grienke is going to end the season with a 1.09 or that KC will ever put a win on the board for him, but I'm not buying Suppan or Grienke as a superior alternative. I'm rolling the dice with Grienke.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:15 pm

d18Mike wrote:You're kiddin', right?Grienke has a 1.09 WHIP and has yet to have a really disastrous outing in a half year of play.

Suppan and Marquis are the very definition of wildly inconsistent. And both have been throughout their careers.

I'm not saying the Grienke is going to end the season with a 1.09 or that KC will ever put a win on the board for him, but I'm not buying Suppan or Grienke as a superior alternative. I'm rolling the dice with Grienke.

Greinke's last month has been anything but spectacular...I just don't think he can be counted on in his first year in the big leagues.
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby t2green2 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:25 pm

Of your list I am only high on
Marquis, Wright
t2green2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:19 pm

Any other opinions/rankings?
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby d18Mike » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:42 pm

Greinke's last month has been anything but spectacular...I just don't think he can be counted on in his first year in the big leagues.

Again, I'm not saying he can. But if you think Suppan and Marquis have more upside then that is highly debateable. It all comes down to your risk aversion. You know you are going to get mediocre or worse performaces from Suppan and Marquis. They are medicore pitchers. Grienke has far more upside but as a rookie also carries upside risk.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:52 pm

Greinke is a monster keeper prospect. But for this year, he just is not worth owning. He's not going to be allowed to go real deep in games as the Royals will protect him, he's on a TERRIBLE team, which limits his win potential...for this year, there are a handful of high K middle reliever types I'd rather have.

I'd probably go for Suppan out of this bunch for now, and use him as long as he remains reasonably effective. If he falters, you get someone else.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers