This is why Eric Milton is no all star - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

This is why Eric Milton is no all star

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: ????

Postby perlick29 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:32 pm

JOEG wrote:Replacement level pitcher???? now thats going overboard

The guy has 11 friken wins!! The way i look at is in 8 games his ERA is 3 something or under which is great and puts your team in a spot to win. That right there eliminates the replacement pitcher name.

All in all he is more deserving the TOm Gordon, Jason Giambi, and a few others

Well I'm oviously not debating Giambi as worthy to go, but the league's avg. ERA is 4.44 and Milton's is now 4.72. The league's avg. whip is 1.41 while his is 1.53 before tonight. What it means is you could easily replace him with a different pitcher around the league and with that run support, that same pitcher would have the same 11 frikin wins that you mention. With those stats how could he not be replacable? A replacement level player isn't really an all-star. It means the Phillies could easily find another Eric Milton and for less money.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:43 pm

You might be careful with the way you use replacement level player then, I completely misunderstood what you were first comparing Milton to as well. Replacement level is the expected level of performance a team can obtain if it needs to replace a starting player at minimal cost. League average players (such as Milton) have jobs , replacement level players most often do not. They only get jobs under certain circumstances (ie the 80% of the current Royals roster).

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby perlick29 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:48 pm

Tavish wrote:You might be careful with the way you use replacement level player then, I completely misunderstood what you were first comparing Milton to as well. Replacement level is the expected level of performance a team can obtain if it needs to replace a starting player at minimal cost. League average players (such as Milton) have jobs , replacement level players most often do not. They only get jobs under certain circumstances (ie the 80% of the current Royals roster).

Jeez you'd think I would've remembered to call him league average player rather than replacement level player, considering my bible is always open and in front of me. Sorry for the confusion JOEG and Tavish, definitely meant league average.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Spokes » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:32 am

As long as he keeps the Ks up and the runs down, he's fine in my league. Now, he's doing nicely on the Ks. The runs? Ehhh...Well, he's always had a ERA up along the mid-upper 4s, so this really isn't unexpected.
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Surfs up » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:34 am

I just turned down a trade that involved Milton. I have Jared Washburn and the other owner wanted to give me Milton and another player for Washburn and another player. Can't say the other players. The owner looks at this site. He is also in second place in our league. Funny thing is all winter and early spring I tried to get Milton from him. Now he wants to trade him. While his value is high.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 183)

Postby LBJackal » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:14 am

Spokes wrote:As long as he keeps the Ks up and the runs down, he's fine in my league. Now, he's doing nicely on the Ks. The runs? Ehhh...Well, he's always had a ERA up along the mid-upper 4s, so this really isn't unexpected.

Always had an ERA in the high 4's because he's no good! Jae Weong Seo has even been better than hm this year, LOL.

I can't believe anybody is arguing that Milton is a good pitcher. Is that John Kruk I see? Or is it another person trying to be overly absurd just to get attention? :-b

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby trippinonreality » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:17 am

I agree that milton doesn't belong on the all star team. Actually he's not even the best pitcher on the Phillies staff its just that he gets a boatload of run support. Hoever I do realize arguments can be made about his win total being somewhat impressive. Since both sides will never budge on where they stand the bigger question to me becomes who would you replace in order to get Milton on the team. Obviously you wouldn't replace Unit, Clemens, Schmidt, Sheets or Zambrano and you can't replace Livan since montreal needs an allstar. That leaves you with Glavine and Pavano both of which have better numbers than Milton does other than wins which in Miltons case are not necessarily caused by great pitching but more so because the Phils score an obscene amount of runs for him.

The only reasonable replacement I can see would be him replacing larkin on the roster (which is a whole other story). I wanted to stay from comparing pitchers to hitters since that would bring up the point that if they are going to replace Larkin it should be with Dunn, Craig Wilson, Overbay, J.D. Drew or even Beltran.
trippinonreality
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:34 am

He most definately does NOT deserve to be an All-Star. The Phillies have Thome and Abreu, so why put such an undeserving player in there over players who earned a spot?

As bad as Larkin has been, he'd be replaced by a hitter, and also he's been better relative to others at his position than Milton has anyway.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:57 pm

so 11 wins is 11 wins, who cares how many runs were scored

winning is everything in baseball and this guy was involved in 11 of them which is great

Not biased as we overpaid for him and got Silva for him whose about as effective as single ply toliet paper, so if anything I hope he does bad, actually he was a very nice guy, so I'm happy for his success

I remember when john kruk made this arguement and just about everyone on this site called him the biggest idiot they knew. Makes me laugh seeing the same horrible arguement again. Anyone could have gotten those wins with all that run support. Making the case for him in the all star game is a joke. And whoever said tom gordon didnt deserve to be in the all star game, check the stats. Hes been lights out. Looks like you all think washburn deserves an allstar spot too.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

zzz

Postby JOEG » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:11 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
And whoever said tom gordon didnt deserve to be in the all star game, check the stats. Hes been lights out. Looks like you all think washburn deserves an allstar spot too.

I know he's having a good year

But he was the 7th Yankee and only one Twins was taken and look how close the stats are

Rincon 8-3 1.90 ERA 52K's
Gorden 2-3 1.63 ERA 47K's

It would of ben nice of Torre to include TWO members of a first place team instead of one!

I know it's biased, but oh well
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers