MLB 2004 Payroll - Bang for the buck analysis! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB 2004 Payroll - Bang for the buck analysis!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: d

Postby JOEG » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:55 pm

Pedantic wrote:
JOEG wrote:I love baseball, but I think this is reason 1 thru 180 million that Football is so exciting and entertaining......

Football exciting and entertaining? While it occasionally holds my interest, it is nowhere near baseball, IMO. Nothing else is fair, why should baseball be "fair," too? To me the football season is about as exciting as rolling a pair of dice--and about as random. Time to play pin the tail on the Superbowl winner! OK, put your blindfolds on!

I like that in baseball, if teams spend wisely and manage talent wisely, they can succeed, but if they don't it's not because it's "some other team's turn to win," but, rather, it's because the team itself failed. No need to keep things "fair"--if a team wins in baseball, it's because they were truly the better team, not because God shook his Magic 8-Ball and decided that to keep things "fair" the Seahawks should win it all.

I hope baseball doesn't start going the way of the "turnstile" NFL.

(BTW, the same thoughts hold true for me with fantasy football and fantasy baseball.)

:-)

I agree 0%
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:02 pm

What the NFL does is give each team the same amount of potential to spend. The teams that build, break down, and then rebuild again are the teams that manage the salary cap extremely poorly. I am not an Eagles fan, and I know that the Eagles have not won a championship, but if you look at them they are a prime example of how good salary cap management can stop the "turnstile"of the NFL.
Once you reach the postseason of any sport, it is a toss-up. If you want to eliminate any "turn-stiling" or have the absolutely best team win every year, then you would need to eliminate the postseason. Hmm, sounds like something that Bud Seling and the MLB would try :-) :-D ;-D .
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Rkiivs » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:19 pm

The whole issue of money in baseball and buying championships is a moot point. Just see the last two seasons if you don't believe me. The whole Yankees-are-bad-for-baseball argument is irrelevant to what's really wrong in baseball. In a word, it's Selig.

Why should revenues be shared? The Mets are in the same exact market the Yankees are. If they can't learn to market themselves as well as the Yanks and spend wisely then they don't deserve to have the Yanks money.

And if revenue sharing is so good in the NFL, then tell me why the Browns are perennial losers? Hint: it's not money.

Interesting numbers though. Forbes magazine does something similar on their site. I'll have to see if I can dig that up.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

?

Postby JOEG » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:26 pm

Revenue sharing has little to do with this argument

It's more of a salary cap issue. There should be some skill in deciding what kinda of team you can make with the same resources as the next team. How much skill is needed when you just buy whoever you want? In football everyone has an equal pot to use. Some us it wisely - NE, some use it very poorly - Washington. I think it's much more interesting. Don't get me wrong I love baseball, but Selig has got to fix this, however I cannot myself see even a possible answer other then just letting it happen.
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:35 pm

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:26 pm Post subject: ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Revenue sharing has little to do with this argument

It's more of a salary cap issue. There should be some skill in deciding what kinda of team you can make with the same resources as the next team. How much skill is needed when you just buy whoever you want? In football everyone has an equal pot to use. Some us it wisely - NE, some use it very poorly - Washington. I think it's much more interesting. Don't get me wrong I love baseball, but Selig has got to fix this, however I cannot myself see even a possible answer other then just letting it happen.

1. I totally agree with you and this is what I was saying
2. An idea for Selig: Force each team to play a home game overseas for every 5 million dollars they spend in payroll. This would create a penalty for going gung-ho with payroll and would help market baseball internationally. It's extremely radical, but it just might work.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:36 pm

The top part is JOEG's post. I am not meaning to steal it.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:03 pm

I'll just stay out of this and leave one comment about complaining about $ in baseball- Blame the rules, not those that follow them ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: ?

Postby Rkiivs » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:08 pm

JOEG wrote:Revenue sharing has little to do with this argument

Hmm..A salary cap would be taking away from the owners the incentive to invest back into the teams. This plan would be disasterous. The profitability factor would shoot right through the roof and the owners would be rolling in the cash since they are being asked not to give it to the teams.

A salary cap would take away the effective management and innovation that you so desire from the organizations' front offices. Again, see the NFL for owners who like making money more than winning.

And I have to fess up that I don't know what the cure all is going to be but I'd like to see some more ideas bandied about here.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

h

Postby JOEG » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:15 pm

Well I do see that argument however the bottem line is whats fun and fair about a team being able to afford to spend 180 million dollars in talent vs one that can afford to spend 50. Nothing~ So if team A has more fans and income coming in they deserve to have the advantage of spending more and getting the premium players? I know it makes sense when you Yankee fans back it up, but why even have a team in small markets if they are nothing more then a minor league system for the big fews unlimited spending?
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers