Yanks aren't the only NY team BUYING - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yanks aren't the only NY team BUYING

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yanks aren't the only NY team BUYING

Postby rmeesig » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:02 pm

If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:03 pm

Happy-happy Joy-joy! Kris Benson will certainly carry us to the promised land. :-S
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HolyCow101 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:04 pm

Kris Benson is a bum
New York Yankees - 2005 WS Champions!
HolyCow101
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rmeesig » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:04 pm

LMAO...I thought you might like that :-]
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rirruto » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:05 pm

We NEED to pull the trigger on this. Even though I love Wiggy, you have to take advantage of a sell high candidate and plus we get to see David Wright tear it up (hopefully). What do you think Amazinz?
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby rmeesig » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:06 pm

hey guys, I'm actually pretty new here, and feel bad posting all these trade rumors here, since it's not technically "fantasy talk"

maybe a rumors forum?
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Gordonx42 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:23 pm

i hope they don't do this. wiggington is a lil' sparkplug. love this guy.
Gordonx42
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:09 pm

If the Pirates wanted to trade Benson straight up for Wigginton (which is now the case according to one article) then I don't think it would be a bad gamble. Benson has good stuff but he's been erratic and injury-prone over the course of his career. The Mets can gamble and hope that Peterson can work his mojo.

The one thing that bothers me about Ty is that his Mets career seems eerily similar to Jeff Kent (without all the clubhouse troubles). I am not just riding the Wiggy bandwagon. I was a big supporter of him last year too and what he lacks in talent he makes up for with hustle and grit. I am nervous that we sell Ty while his value is high and then he never deflates.

But I'm not sold that they simply want Wigginton. As soon as you throw J.P. (despite his sophomore struggles) or Vance Wilson into the mix I think the risk out weighs the upside.

There's also the rumor that they'd be willing to do it if the Mets take on Kendall's contract. The idea of Piazza permanently at 1st, Kendall behind the dish and the chance of Benson solidifying the rotation's backend is pretty attractive. But in this scenario the Mets most likely lose Wigginton, Phillips, Milledge and Brazell. Is that too much? I don't know but it's a hefty gamble for a team in great shape for the future.

Keep in mind Kendall is 30 and the Mets would be locked into his contract until 2007 when he's 33. Huber has started to come around after his slow start and is starting to grace the "hot prospect" sheets again. If he's the real deal then Kendall would block his path. Huber would obviously be a much cheaper option.

I have a lot of faith in J.D. He's starting to prove that he is going to be one of the better GMs in the league. I think he'll make a run at another starter if the price is right but it wouldn't bother me any if we just take a shot at this year with what we have. After another great off season the Mets are going to be a contender again next year.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rirruto » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:17 pm

Amazinz wrote:The one thing that bothers me about Ty is that his Mets career seems eerily similar to Jeff Kent

...and Jay Payton, Jason Isringhausen, Preston Wilson, AJ Burnett, Nolan Ryan, etc :~(
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby login » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:33 pm

I don't like Benson (would rather have Ramon Ortiz) but the Mets seriously need a back of the rotation starter. I'll take Benson if that means Wright is going to be called up quickly.
login
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers