Better corner infielder for 2nd half, Thome or Blalock - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Better corner infielder for 2nd half, Thome or Blalock

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ballfour » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:07 pm

That is correct, it would be for a CI spot so the position they play doesnt really matter. Seems like there isnt as much as a disparity between 1st and 3rd this year anyways, like in years past. Maybe 1st baseman are more scarce now then 3rd basemen???
ballfour
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WhiteHot » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:43 pm

ballfour wrote:That is correct, it would be for a CI spot so the position they play doesnt really matter. Seems like there isnt as much as a disparity between 1st and 3rd this year anyways, like in years past. Maybe 1st baseman are more scarce now then 3rd basemen???

I'd agree with that. It seems like there are a ton of good 3B this year, while 1B isn't as potent. While 1B has some absolute studs (Pujols, Helton, Thome) and other great producers (Casey, Ortiz, and I guess the White Sox tandem), I don't think it has the depth of 3B (ARod, Rolen, Lowell, Blalock, Chavez, Aramis, Mora, Castilla, Beltre, and some others with eligibility like MCab and Tex).

I think some big 1B are slumping and that factors in. Shawn Green and Giambi have been putrid.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Slow Pitch » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:54 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
irishdude103 wrote:i think Thome will put up bigger numbers throught the second half, althought i really wouldn't mind having Blalock either

Exactly. Even if he cools off a little, Thome has been consistently good for a long time. Blalock is up and coming, and if he put up numbers as good as Thome it wouldn't surprise me. If you're looking to land one in a trade, Blalock wouldn't cost you as much. ;-D

Unless you are in a keeper league
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:24 pm

I would definately agree that 1B is more shallow than 3B this year. That said, I'd take Thome even if both played 1B, but not by as much as I would have thought pre-season.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby thetongueofire » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:30 am

i'll take the 50-hr guy.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dellnet2000 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:56 pm

Thome
dellnet2000
College Coach
College Coach

Postby giants8307 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:00 pm

WhiteHot wrote:
ballfour wrote:That is correct, it would be for a CI spot so the position they play doesnt really matter. Seems like there isnt as much as a disparity between 1st and 3rd this year anyways, like in years past. Maybe 1st baseman are more scarce now then 3rd basemen???

I'd agree with that. It seems like there are a ton of good 3B this year, while 1B isn't as potent. While 1B has some absolute studs (Pujols, Helton, Thome) and other great producers (Casey, Ortiz, and I guess the White Sox tandem), I don't think it has the depth of 3B (ARod, Rolen, Lowell, Blalock, Chavez, Aramis, Mora, Castilla, Beltre, and some others with eligibility like MCab and Tex).

I think some big 1B are slumping and that factors in. Shawn Green and Giambi have been putrid.

Very good analysis. I agree.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jojo » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:08 pm

Look up the word "ownage" in the dictionary, you'll get your answer as to who is better..
jojo
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers