RJ prefers Yanks! Maybe Clemens too! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RJ prefers Yanks! Maybe Clemens too!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:31 pm

rmeesig wrote:how about this one:
http://www.aztrib.com/index.php?sty=24569

Thanks for that. Definitely interesting to see an article about the situation come out of someplace other than NY. I still think it's far-fetched but we shall see. :-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rmeesig » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:37 pm

Yeah, I definitely think he'll end up in NY, but which team is still a mystery. I'm afraid he'll end up a Met before Bos or Ana..

This is getting interesting for sure!
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:
rmeesig wrote:simple - RJ has the power because if he's not happy in AZ, the DBacks have to do whatever he wants. Why would the DBacks continue paying him this year and 16mil next year if he's unhappy being there? It's all figurative, but he IS in the driver's seat at this point.

OK this is what I was arguing and did not change my stance on. IMO the ball is not in RJ's court and RJ has no power unless Arizona is desperate to move him which I do not think is the case.

If R.J. is not happy in Arizona they have to do whatever he wants? He's going to strongarm them? ;-) This is the argument I disagree with.

If Arizona gets into a "we must trade RJ"-mode then all the power shifts to the Unit. They will have a deadline to contend with and in that scenario he has absolute veto power. But this is more of a Yankee wet dream than it is a likely scenario.

Prior to this sudden media frenzy every article about Randy said he was happy with the D-backs and that he was happy staying in or near Arizona. Maybe that has changed but it's funny that the only media writing that it has changed is the NY papers.

A lot has changed lately, as least according to the speculation.

Let me just say this to clarify. I think that Randy is in the driver's seat a lot more than Arizona. There are 4 possible scenarios:

1. Arizona wants to keep him and Randy wants to stay

No problem here. He stays, as long as they want to keep paying him.

2. Arizona wants to keep him but Randy wants to go.

This could get messy. He could act miserable and force a trade.

3. Arizona doesn't want him and Randy wants to stay.

This could get messy and is the least likely to happen. In the end, I would expect him to want to go.

4. Neither wants him to stay.

They trade him.

Basically, #1 is the only scenario where Arizona holds all of the cards and that's only because he would want to stay as well. He could pull a Shaq and get moved at any time.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby rmeesig » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:59 pm

RJ speaks to the press!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar04 ... id=1838530

"I'm not going to leave to go to a situation where they theoretically have a [slight] chance to win," said Johnson, 10-7 with a 2.99 ERA and a major league-leading 145 strikeouts. "There has been no list of teams [he would accept a trade to]. Just teams that have a [good] chance to win. That's the only way."

Welcome to New York Mr.Johnson! What size pinstripes will you be needing?
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mikcou » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:00 pm

rmeesig wrote:RJ speaks to the press!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar04 ... id=1838530

"I'm not going to leave to go to a situation where they theoretically have a [slight] chance to win," said Johnson, 10-7 with a 2.99 ERA and a major league-leading 145 strikeouts. "There has been no list of teams [he would accept a trade to]. Just teams that have a [good] chance to win. That's the only way."

Welcome to New York Mr.Johnson! What size pinstripes will you be needing?

there a lot more teams with a chance to win than the Yankees
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby rmeesig » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:26 am

Today's RJ watch:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=24667
The most likely scenario: Johnson winds up with the New York Yankees in a three-team deal. The Yankees don't have enough major-league ready prospects to satisfy the Diamondbacks, but a third team might.

That team gets pitcher Jose Contreras and other considerations from the Yankees, the Diamondbacks get several prospects, and George Steinbrenner gets his man

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamond ... y0713.html

http://www.nypost.com/sports/24822.htm
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmeesig » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:28 am

oh yeah, and this one too:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnist ... columnists

One source said the Angels flatly have decided not to go for Johnson; another suggested the Angels likely won't do anything on a "large scale." And what's larger than the 6-10 megastar Johnson? It appears the Angels are disinclined to trade their top prospects for a $16.5-million rental
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jimhorn888 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:08 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:People were still calling Boston and Chicago better teams pre-season. With Randy, Pedro, Schilling and Lowe in a short series, I don't know how you can't consider Boston the favorites, considering pitching wins championships.

And I do know what it's like to win when your not the favorites. We did it in 1996. That's why if you ask pretty much any Yankee fan, that's their favorite championship. We weren't expected to win, we defied the odds so to speak.

Put down the pipe bro.
jimhorn888
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:17 pm

jimhorn888 wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:People were still calling Boston and Chicago better teams pre-season. With Randy, Pedro, Schilling and Lowe in a short series, I don't know how you can't consider Boston the favorites, considering pitching wins championships.

And I do know what it's like to win when your not the favorites. We did it in 1996. That's why if you ask pretty much any Yankee fan, that's their favorite championship. We weren't expected to win, we defied the odds so to speak.

Put down the pipe bro.

Maybe you're the one who should if you think the Yankees were expected to beat the Braves, especially after losing the opening 2 games ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Pedantic » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:18 pm

rmeesig wrote:oh yeah, and this one too:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnist ... columnists

One source said the Angels flatly have decided not to go for Johnson; another suggested the Angels likely won't do anything on a "large scale." And what's larger than the 6-10 megastar Johnson? It appears the Angels are disinclined to trade their top prospects for a $16.5-million rental

It's not a rental, per se, Johnson is signed through 2005.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers