RJ prefers Yanks! Maybe Clemens too! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RJ prefers Yanks! Maybe Clemens too!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:If Arizona is desperate to trade R.J. then I absolutely agree. He has them by the family jewels. But I don't believe this is the situation. R.J. generates so much revenue for the Diamondbacks that they will never be desperate to trade him.

That might be true but that's not what you were saying above. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thetongueofire » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:45 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:If Arizona is desperate to trade R.J. then I absolutely agree. He has them by the family jewels. But I don't believe this is the situation. R.J. generates so much revenue for the Diamondbacks that they will never be desperate to trade him.

Then why are there even rumors about him going to be traded? Randy has said he loves it in Arizona and it isn't even certain he'd waive his no trade clause if Zona made a deal.

cos your team and my team both would kill to have him right now... he has very few problems staying in 'Zona.

but i dont think he has complete power cos the d'backs are fine with him staying (they'll "consider" moving him if the right offer comes along. ). him moving on would help em rebuild but like Amazinz said hes the face of the d'backs frenchise right now. and even both his and d'backs choices are limited to only less than a handful of teams, and from what we've seen hes not averse to playing for either the Sox, Yankees or Angels. the d'backs could prolly just go for the best offer.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:47 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

That might be true but that's not what you were saying above. ;-)

How so? All I have said is that R.J. doesn't have the power everyone here says he does. I am still correct about that.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rmeesig » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:23 pm

simple - RJ has the power because if he's not happy in AZ, the DBacks have to do whatever he wants. Why would the DBacks continue paying him this year and 16mil next year if he's unhappy being there? It's all figurative, but he IS in the driver's seat at this point.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:59 pm

rmeesig wrote:simple - RJ has the power because if he's not happy in AZ, the DBacks have to do whatever he wants. Why would the DBacks continue paying him this year and 16mil next year if he's unhappy being there? It's all figurative, but he IS in the driver's seat at this point.

OK this is what I was arguing and did not change my stance on. IMO the ball is not in RJ's court and RJ has no power unless Arizona is desperate to move him which I do not think is the case.

If R.J. is not happy in Arizona they have to do whatever he wants? He's going to strongarm them? ;-) This is the argument I disagree with.

If Arizona gets into a "we must trade RJ"-mode then all the power shifts to the Unit. They will have a deadline to contend with and in that scenario he has absolute veto power. But this is more of a Yankee wet dream than it is a likely scenario.

Prior to this sudden media frenzy every article about Randy said he was happy with the D-backs and that he was happy staying in or near Arizona. Maybe that has changed but it's funny that the only media writing that it has changed is the NY papers.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rmeesig » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:10 pm

Amazinz wrote:Prior to this sudden media frenzy every article about Randy said he was happy with the D-backs and that he was happy staying in or near Arizona. Maybe that has changed but it's funny that the only media writing that it has changed is the NY papers.

Actually, throughout this thread, I have provided many AZ newspaper links that report the same thing.

My theory of why he MAY be unhappy is his current contract. He wants 300 wins, which will require at least 3 more seasons. I don't think the DBacks are willing to give him the extra 2 seasons, which is why he has asked to have his no-trade clause waived.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmeesig » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:14 pm

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamond ... ea-ON.html

If the Diamondbacks are thinking of trading Johnson, the Yankees and the Mets are two interested teams. The Yankees are concerned that some of their starting pitchers won't hold up, and the Mets feel their rotation isn't deep enough to take them to the playoffs. Among other teams interested in Johnson are the Anaheim Angels.

But the Angels apparently are part of some of those false reports that Garagiola said have been circulating in recent days.

An official who has been involved in talks between the Angels and the Diamondbacks cited a newspaper article Sunday that said "as an absolute fact" that the Diamondbacks had asked Anaheim for Dallas McPherson, a minor league third baseman.

"Dallas McPherson's and Randy Johnson's names have never come up in the same sentence," the official said.

But the official wouldn't say if Johnson's name came up at all.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:18 pm

You do realize that that is a syndicated NY Times article, right? :-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby rmeesig » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:21 pm

nope - I didn't...but I can find some others!!

and besides, the NYTimes actually have vested interest in the Red Sox.. ;-)
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmeesig » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:23 pm

how about this one:

http://www.aztrib.com/index.php?sty=24569

On the heels of a flurry of "no comments" and non-denial denials as responses to inquiries about the Diamondbacks’ possible trade of their ace, a baseball source said Saturday the D-Backs and New York Yankees "are talking big time" about a deal to send Johnson to New York.

I know, I know..."a baseball source" could be the ticket taker at the front gate, but I'm willing to bet it has some merit to it...it's a pretty well written piece regardless...
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers