RJ prefers Yanks! Maybe Clemens too! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RJ prefers Yanks! Maybe Clemens too!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nsulham » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:08 am

blankman wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Oh cut the guy some slack. We were all just guessing anyway. :-D

Seriously. I don't know of anyone who's been jumping on the backs of Sox fans who said Nomar wouldn't be dealt. What's the point? To make yourself feel better because someone else was wrong?

Thats not the point. The point is you can't go around making guarantees then not own up to it when you're wrong. It goes the same for everyone, Sox fans, Yankee fans, Astro fans, etc. all

If I'm wrong about something and someone calls me out on it, I'm more than willing to admit I was wrong.

I just think if you're ballsy enough to make such brash predictions, be ballsy enough to admit you were wrong.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:20 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
rmeesig wrote:haha...oh well...maybe the DBacks will make a strong run, make it to the WS - in which case Randy WILL be pitching in the Bronx this fall!! ;)

or maybe I was wrong. Guess that's why I'm just a fantasy mgr, and not a real one. ;-D

yeah, you were wrong. And the all-too-often Yankee fan belief that they will always get the best player available is quite annoying.

Anyway, I think I told you that he wouldn't be going anywhere...

I would expect better from you, T-Mo. If you want me to explain why a lot of Yankee fans feel that way, I will.

I don't mean to speak for Transmo but from my viewpoint, I have no problem with the majority of Yankee fans who know their stuff and want to see their ballclub improved.

My problem lies with the spoiled Yankee fan who believe it's their right to every player in the league and it's a done deal that they will somehow or another end up with them. More often than not these fans are the newbies who've known nothing other than all the World Series titles the past few years. Ask them who Andy Hawkins or Kevin Maas are and they won't have the slightest clue. Unfortunately, there are also a few knowledgable Yankee fans who have been affected by the winning and they too believe that they are entitled to the best.

I've said it before, I've got no problem with Yankee fans such as yourself Lo. It's the ones who throw the money part and the "we should have anyone we want because we're the Yankees" in everyone's face like the spoiled little rich kid who's dad gets them whatever they want.

Another thing I've noticed, and it's not just Yankee fans who do it but just so happens it's mainly them I see doing it. The whole "we" thing. Are you guys part of the team? Do you suit up? Do you have an office at The Stadium somewhere? If not, it shouldn't be "we" it should be "they". I know to the most hardcore fan it feels like you're "part" of the team but you've got to remember, all you are is a fan OF that team. Not a part of it. And that goes for anyone who uses "we". Sorry for using the Yankees as an example but that's all I've ever seen. If someone can show me another team's fan on here using "we" I'll admit I was wrong.

I'll be getting off my soapbox now ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:06 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
rmeesig wrote:haha...oh well...maybe the DBacks will make a strong run, make it to the WS - in which case Randy WILL be pitching in the Bronx this fall!! ;)

or maybe I was wrong. Guess that's why I'm just a fantasy mgr, and not a real one. ;-D

yeah, you were wrong. And the all-too-often Yankee fan belief that they will always get the best player available is quite annoying.

I would expect better from you, T-Mo. If you want me to explain why a lot of Yankee fans feel that way, I will.

Please do. It's not that they want the best players, but that they expect them. It's a big difference. I should note that it's not all fans, but there's plenty of them out there.

And, what's with the T-mo? I thought we killed that awhile back. ;-)
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:34 am

Transmogrifier wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:

Please do. It's not that they want the best players, but that they expect them. It's a big difference. I should note that it's not all fans, but there's plenty of them out there.

And, what's with the T-mo? I thought we killed that awhile back. ;-)

Sorry, Trans. :-)

As for my explanation, here goes. I try to see this realistically but I could see why it's difficult for many Yankee fans. Part of it is that Steinbrenner is an owner who has shown time and time again that he will do whatever it takes to try to field a winner. Generally speaking, whenever there has been a need, they have addressed it with no regard to who or how much. The fans are just used to it. There is a big difference in feeling entitled to every available player and being used to getting almost every available player. I feel that most Yankee fans fall under the latter, believe it or not. When you are used to things, not getting it can be a bit of a shock. For instance, when I walk into my local watering hole, by the time I get to my seat, the beer is already poured. If I was to walk in 1 day and it wasn't there, I would be very surprised as I am accustomed to it. Bad example but you get the point.

The next reason is the media. They have been used to this as well. Let's see. Daily News writer sees that the Yankees need a starter. DN writer sees that they also could use a lefty. DN writer knows that George will pay whatever. DN writer sees that RJ is a FA soon. DN writer writes an article about how the Yankees are pursuing RJ, whether it's true or not. Once rumors are started in NY, look out. That, combined with people calling talk radio with crazy ideas, gets this stuff out of control.

Nsul also brought up a good point. Many Yankee fans here don't remember the days of Maas, Hawkins, Whitson, etc. I can't really blame them because I would expect many of the Yankee fans here to be young. It is 8 years since the '96 run began but they started to get good prior to that. You could say that the post Stick Michael respending began around there, for arguments sake. An 18 year old Yankee fan today was 10 back then. They really haven't known it any other way.

Finally, there are more Yankee fans than fans of any other team. All over the country. For the most part, a Yankee fan in Michigan isn't as attached to the team in a day to day sense as a NY/NJ fan.

I may have forgotten something but this is a start.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby WharfRat » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:47 am

Lofunzo pretty much says it all.

For perspective: Do you think UCLA fans were shocked when the Bruins' seven-year title run ended? Do you think it took some adjustment when Edmonton's dynasty ended, or Montreal's? Success is a treat, but prolonged success over a number of years becomes expected, especially when there's piles of empirical evidence to support the idea. Personally, I didn't expect Randy to go to NY, but if he had, I wouldn't have been shocked or rabidly overwhelmed or anything. Happy and relieved, yeah, but not necessarily shocked. I would have thought: There goes Cashman again. So often there have been big deals pulled off (picking up Clemens, signing Mussina, Sheff, trading for A-Rod)...sometimes they just kind've fall out of the sky, it seems.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers