RJ prefers Yanks! Maybe Clemens too! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RJ prefers Yanks! Maybe Clemens too!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jbones733 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:24 pm

i think he goes to Yanks because of Steinbrenner, This is what makes George Steinbrenner tick Guys like Randy are what he lives for, You think hes gonna be content w K Benson, thwo in they havent won the series in 3 years,

Plus u tink Steinbrenner will let him go to the REd Sox, hell will freeze over b4 that happens, Yanks will do whatever they can , mainly george

& im a yankee hater btw, but thats my 2 cents
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:26 pm

Georgie really doesn't have that much power in the mid-season. B-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rmeesig » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:32 am

this is great news (for Yankee fans):

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ ... -headlines

Yet George Steinbrenner probably doesn't have to worry about losing Johnson to the Red Sox. Johnson made clear yesterday that reports of his distaste for Boston's Curt Schilling are accurate, a bad sign for the Red Sox. When a reporter mentioned that Schilling claimed to put in 20 phone calls to Johnson, in an effort to convince him to waive his no-trade clause to pitch for the Red Sox, Johnson said, "There's a reason I have changed my number." ;-D
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:32 am

rmeesig wrote:this is great news (for Yankee fans):

Yet George Steinbrenner probably doesn't have to worry about losing Johnson to the Red Sox. Johnson made clear yesterday that reports of his distaste for Boston's Curt Schilling are accurate, a bad sign for the Red Sox. When a reporter mentioned that Schilling claimed to put in 20 phone calls to Johnson, in an effort to convince him to waive his no-trade clause to pitch for the Red Sox, Johnson said, "There's a reason I have changed my number." ;-D

Good to hear ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby nsulham » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:38 am

rmeesig wrote:this is great news (for Yankee fans):

Ugh :-/

Do you honestly believe Newsday, the Daily News, or the Post are going to write about anything that DOESN'T put the Yankees in a favorable light, therefore creating readership?

Do you also know how easy it is to spin a story? I'm a sports writer so I do. All you need is one quote and you can basically cut and paste it to wherever it applies.

When he say's "There's a reason I changed my number", that could very well be him talking about changing his number because of all the reporters who've called his house, NOT Schilling. But the blurb about Schilling will put more juice into the story so they put it in that spot.

I'm sure the Globe and Herald are guilty of doing the same thing, but it's a FACT that the Daily News, Post and Newsday has a "tabloid" taint to them.

Fact is that RJ-to-Boston is credible and is going around, because I've also seen it reported on ESPN and the New York Times (A REPUTABLE NY paper). Now whether your Yankee arrogance and blind faith that RJ will ONLY go to the Yankees wants to believe that is up to you.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:43 am

Agreed there, I have heard nothing about Schilling/RJ NOT liking each other until this. I think that quote is misconstrued.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby rmeesig » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:04 am

Then you haven't been looking. If you notice it says:

Johnson made clear yesterday that reports of his distaste for Boston's Curt Schilling are accurate

There has been plenty of speculation regarding the relationship between these two, and I think Randy just confirmed it...Boston fans can misconstrue this to fit their own fantasies just as easy as Yanks fans.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:07 am

rmeesig wrote:Then you haven't been looking. If you notice it says:

Johnson made clear yesterday that reports of his distaste for Boston's Curt Schilling are accurate

There has been plenty of speculation regarding the relationship between these two, and I think Randy just confirmed it...Boston fans can misconstrue this to fit their own fantasies just as easy as Yanks fans.

The writer of that article "made clear yesterday the reports" based on looking at that one quote. If RJ had said anything beyond that quote regarding his relationship w/ Schilling then I'm sure it would have also been included in the story.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby rmeesig » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:07 am

nsulham wrote: Do you honestly believe Newsday, the Daily News, or the Post are going to write about anything that DOESN'T put the Yankees in a favorable light, therefore creating readership?

That would be the same Newsday that broke the A-Rod to Yanks story, correct?

They have just as much credibilty, if not MORE, than the yahoos on NESN who announced the trade last week...
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nsulham » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:08 am

Fair enough.

From the Seattle Post:

Until now, Johnson has spent his long career playing in the relatively sedate surroundings of Montreal, Seattle, Houston and Arizona. How he would react to the more intense atmosphere of Boston or New York is not known, although he did run into difficulty yesterday while bantering in the clubhouse with several New York-area reporters.

After Johnson checked Lawrence Rocca's press badge and noticed he was from The Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J., another reporter teasingly told Johnson to be careful because The Star-Ledger was the newspaper that the mobster Tony Soprano read in "The Sopranos" television show. Rocca told Johnson the paper had a good real estate section if he needed to relocate to New Jersey.

"Now I'm not going to go there just because you guys are making a mockery of it," Johnson said, growing irate. "This is my livelihood."
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers