Millwood Trade Rumor... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Millwood Trade Rumor...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Millwood Trade Rumor...

Postby KeyWestCorona » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:50 am

The Cardinals want Kevin Millwood, accord to rumors. How would a move from Philly to St. Louis affect his numbers?
The weather is here. I wish you were beautiful.
KeyWestCorona
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:00 am

Why would the Phillies give him up? I understand he hasn't been lights out this year but they are leading the division and they don't exactly have the deepest rotation around. Until a final word on Padilla comes around I doubt they trade any starters away.

But... if the trade were to happen I don't think it would affect his numbers too much. The ballpark factors are about the same between the stadiums. He would get more run support but a less-effective bullpen IMO.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:01 pm

Tavish wrote:Why would the Phillies give him up? I understand he hasn't been lights out this year but they are leading the division and they don't exactly have the deepest rotation around. Until a final word on Padilla comes around I doubt they trade any starters away.

I *think* there was another thread on this but the rumor is they'd swap Millwood and Morris. Morris is a FA and I guess the Cardinals aren't planning on resigning him.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eftda » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:04 pm

Even so, with millwood past its unsure of how it will affect his pitching. It hard to say because Millwood is such a nut case. My best bet would be that everything stays the same but his wins goes up and his whip does down.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:06 pm

The Cards would be idiots to do the trade that was proposed yesterday. Morris and Kline for Millwood and Polanco I believe it was.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eftda » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:08 pm

The best part about the deal is that Polanco was in the Rolen trade :-D

Guess the Phillies got tired of him.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:36 am

Cards turn down Phillies' trade proposal
By Joe Strauss
Of the Post-Dispatch
07/09/2004

The silly season has begun early for the Cardinals.

With three weeks remaining before baseball's non-waiver trade deadline, the Philadelphia Phillies have inquired about the availability of pitchers Matt Morris and Steve Kline in exchange for a package including Kevin Millwood and former Cardinals infielder Placido Polanco. Sources from both organizations confirmed a recent discussion between Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty and Phillies GM Ed Wade.

Both sides described it as a proposal by Wade that gained no traction.

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa tried to discredit the proposal as "something somebody made up during a rain delay" but didn't say whether it was concocted in a press box or an executive's suite.

Jocketty cited his policy of not addressing contract negotiations or trade talks but later added, "We're happy with what this team has done. I don't see a need to make a major change."

The Phillies scouted last weekend's series against the Oakland A's while a number of clubs have wondered whether Morris, the Cardinals' opening day starter and a pending free agent, could be had. Wade attempted to learn whether the Cardinals' longtime interest in Millwood might cause them to give up Morris, who has enjoyed a more productive season than Millwood despite an ebb in velocity and a vulnerability to home runs.

Millwood, who carries an $11 million tag, has six wins this season, four against the Montreal Expos.

The Phillies also know of Jocketty's affection for Polanco, whom he included in the July 2002 trade for third baseman Scott Rolen. All four players discussed are eligible for free agency after this season. Morris, who makes $12.5 million this season, is the most expensive player.

"I know Ed made a call but it went nowhere," a source familiar with the conversation said.

La Russa was concerned enough about the undercurrent surrounding the trade rumors that he addressed the matter with Morris and Kline before Friday night's series opener against the Chicago Cubs.

"I heard about it, but I didn't really get concerned," Kline said. "It didn't really seem to make a lot of sense for us."

Kline will earn $1.7 million this season. Last season his name surfaced in trade talks with the New York Yankees; however, he remains one of two lefthanders within the game's second-most productive bullpen. Kline has yet to surrender an earned run at Busch Stadium and has held lefthanded hitters to a .185 average.

Jocketty restated his belief in a sound clubhouse mix that should not be disturbed. "That's a big part of it," he said. "It's pretty remarkable how quickly this team seemed to come together with all the new faces. It's been that way since spring training."

Inquiries were made about righthanded starting pitcher Freddy Garcia and center fielder Carlos Beltran before they were dealt by the Seattle Mariners and Kansas City Royals, respectively.

Club sources have played down their interest in Pittsburgh Pirates righthander Kris Benson - considered among the most attractive targets for a deadline deal - but have inquired about Arizona Diamondbacks ace Randy Johnson. So far, the Diamondbacks have indicated they will not deal the five-time Cy Young Award winner.

"If we had interest in a starting pitcher, it would have to be somebody better than one of our five right now," La Russa said. "Tell me who that is. And if there is an impact player available, what are the costs in dollars and prospects? And what about your team?"

Barring injury, the Cardinals are expected to pursue a corner outfielder or a righthanded reliever and are unlikely to part with a significant prospect or take on significant salary.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:06 am

I saw this yesterday, and I laughed when I read it. There is no way in the world that Jocketty is going to mess with this team chemistry right now.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Return to Baseball Leftovers