Convince me Torre doesn't have a grudge with Pedro - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Convince me Torre doesn't have a grudge with Pedro

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JRM4833 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:01 am

Am I the only one who didnt miss that Pedro turned down the offer to play?

Thursday, July 8, 2004
Updated: July 9, 7:35 AM ET

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- New York Yankees pitcher Javier Vazquez and Los Angeles Dodgers catcher Paul Lo Duca were added to the All-Star teams Thursday as replacements for injured players.

Vazquez takes the spot of Oakland Athletics right-hander Tim Hudson, giving New York eight players on the 32-man AL squad.

The last team to have eight All-Stars was the 2001 Seattle Mariners. Before that, no club had eight All-Stars since the 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates.

Hudson is on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique muscle.

Yankees manager Joe Torre, who will manage the AL All-Stars, said the roster opening was offered first to Boston ace Pedro Martinez, who declined the invitation.

"He had made other plans, I guess," Torre said. "I didn't make the decision. We went with the list and Vazquez was next on the list after Pedro passed."

Lo Duca replaces Cincinnati Reds first baseman Sean Casey, on the DL with a strained right calf.

It will be Vazquez's first trip to the All-Star game. He is 9-5 with a 3.50 ERA in his first year with the Yankees after being acquired from Montreal in a trade last offseason.

He joins New York teammates Jason Giambi, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Mariano Rivera, Tom Gordon, Gary Sheffield and Hideki Matsui on the AL team. Giambi, Jeter and Rodriguez were elected by fans to starting infield spots.

Lo Duca earns his second NL All-Star appearance after also being selected last season. He entered Thursday hitting .308 with six homers and 35 RBIs.

"It's exciting to go back and to be in the same clubhouse with those guys," Lo Duca said. "There's a lot of guys who are more deserving and probably should have gone (before) me, but I'm still happy to go."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1836614

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:06 am

I heard that Pedro didn't want to go because it was going to be colder than 80 degrees that night. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby JRM4833 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:38 am

Whatever the reason, Im just glad the Sox dont have both of their top 2 starters playing. It'll be nice to have Pedro starting the 1st game after the break.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Rkiivs » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:54 am

chiuondis wrote:comin from a yankee fan.... i hate to admit this but...

pedro >>>> javy

i'd rather have pedro on the mound in a must win playoff game ...

You mean like a game seven ALCS?

Too be fair, that game was badly managed BUT Pedro has proved he has a glass arm.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:08 am

Rkiivs wrote:

pedro >>>> javy

Too be fair, that game was badly managed BUT Pedro has proved he has a glass arm.

I agree. Pedro hasn't won a big game in his life. I'm not saying Vazzy will but I'd like to at least give him a chance. Plus I'd never take Pedro on my team or on my mound. }:-)
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Melo255 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:17 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:
Rkiivs wrote:

pedro >>>> javy

I agree. Pedro hasn't won a big game in his life. I'm not saying Vazzy will but I'd like to at least give him a chance. Plus I'd never take Pedro on my team or on my mound. }:-)

October 11th 1999. The Red Sox were down two games to none in the ALDS against Cleveland. They come back to win the next two games forcing a deciding game five IN Cleveland. Pedro had to leave game one after four innings because of back problems. The series was over for him...or so we all thought. Game is tied 8-8 in the fourth inning after Saberhagen and Lowe have already been chased from the game. In comes Pedro and one of the most dominant pitching performances I've ever seen. He pitches 6 innings of no hit ball while tallying 8 strikeouts and the Red Sox come all the way back and win the game. Before last years post season that was the greatest game I had ever seen. Pedro DOES win big games. Even last years game 7 in the ALCS he had gone 7 innings giving up only 2 runs. Everybody knew Pedro was dead tired and wasn't going to be effective. Everybody except for Grady. It's not fair at all to say Pedro can't win big games. He has pitched his heart out when he needs to and has always given the Red Sox the oppurtunity to win when it counts.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby perlick29 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:30 am

nsulham wrote:
rmeesig wrote:
perlick29 wrote:Well, this coming from a red sox guy (i think) I'll believe it.

ugh..you've got to be kidding...that pic in my avatar is from game 7 of the ALCS - right after lil Petey gave up THE HIT...I am in NO way, a sox fan. yanks fan here.

Dude I'd consider changing that av if I were you lol

This isn't the first time you've been mistaken for a Sox fan. I think it happens to WeaponsofMassDestruction too.

Yeh, my bad. I did that with the other guy too because I use a small resolution size so if I see a red sock in the pic I accidently assume that that person is a sox fan. Wont happen again. Anyway, here:s a good question

Should Joe Torre have considered Brad Radke instead? His numbers were pretty good.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:07 pm

Melo255 wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:
Rkiivs wrote:

pedro >>>> javy

October 11th 1999. The Red Sox were down two games to none in the ALDS against Cleveland. They come back to win the next two games forcing a deciding game five IN Cleveland. Pedro had to leave game one after four innings because of back problems. The series was over for him...or so we all thought. Game is tied 8-8 in the fourth inning after Saberhagen and Lowe have already been chased from the game. In comes Pedro and one of the most dominant pitching performances I've ever seen. He pitches 6 innings of no hit ball while tallying 8 strikeouts and the Red Sox come all the way back and win the game. Before last years post season that was the greatest game I had ever seen. Pedro DOES win big games. Even last years game 7 in the ALCS he had gone 7 innings giving up only 2 runs. Everybody knew Pedro was dead tired and wasn't going to be effective. Everybody except for Grady. It's not fair at all to say Pedro can't win big games. He has pitched his heart out when he needs to and has always given the Red Sox the oppurtunity to win when it counts.

I was gonna say the same thing. Pedro pitched his heart out, and he should of gotten the win if it wasn't for bad managing.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:58 pm

wrveres wrote:
Popscicle anybody?

what flavor?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:59 pm

matmat wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Popscicle anybody?

what flavor?

Cherry.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers