Randy Wolf or Brad Lidge??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Randy Wolf or Brad Lidge???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:50 pm

Lidge.

I saw him in person for the first time last night. It's just sad for the hitter. Wolf is too much of an unknown right now, he could either help you in wins or crush you in ERA.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j5mikey » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:46 pm

is lidge still available in your league?!?!

he was a draft day selection in mine...but its NOT CLOSE AT ALL, lidge for sure.

he will probably rack up close to as many K's as wolf, have better ratios and get a decent amount of save opps....
j5mikey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tmoney » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:13 pm

Wolf has been very underrated this whole season. He was doing great until he went on the DL. People have been turned off by him because he only has 3 wins, but they dont realize he has not had the run support to get the wins. He did have a 2.98 ERA before hitting the DL, and he should return to that form within a start or two. Now that the Phillies are hitting the ball better, he should get more wins, and that puts his value over Lidge IMO.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:11 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:
G-Man wrote:wolf is historically a guy who falters a bit in the 2nd half but run support will always be there and I think he will round into form shortly....Lidge on the other hand seems to be a prime candidate for overuse and may tire down the stretch. tough comparison either way.

Actually in 2002 I think he was dominant in the 2nd half. Last year he sucked. I guess we'll find out the true Wolf this year...

Absolutely stay with Lidge.

ajgnyaoui - are you like living in the cafe? Have you been kicked out of the house or something - because you've been in here and in every thread all week? just curious.

I'm in here alot more now rather than like a month ago because it's summer and there's no school. I'm not in here as much as you say but I've posted more frequently now that I have alot of time on my hands.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Spiegs1106 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:07 pm

lidge
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:41 pm

really cant say anything without knowing your team and league specifics but based on pure 5x5 roto value, i think Lidge has the upper hand right now. but saves are always a crapshoot and if he doesnt get enough opps (stros offense picks it up and they start blowing teams out), then... tough one. :-o
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:41 pm

G-Man wrote:Lidge on the other hand seems to be a prime candidate for overuse and may tire down the stretch.

I think this is over-looked a lot. Even last year people were saying he's being used far too often. He pitched 85 innings last year and is on pace for 93 this year. For a RP, especially a power pitcher like Lidge, that's too much.

Last year August and September were his 2 worst months; selling high after the AS break isn't a bad idea.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Jury » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:21 am

I like to give the edge to starters over relievers in most cases like this, and I'd take Wolf over Lidge. There are relivers who put up similar ratios to Lidge, just that they aren't closers, so they don't contribute in saves.

Since this is the case, I'd rather take Wolf, who is largely considered to be a pretty solid, about #3 fantasy starter, when healthy who can eat up innings and maintain solid ratios and pick up wins and strikeouts. This type of starter is, in my opinion, either rarer or more valuable than a lights out closer, as saves aren't overly hard to come by with Graves and Cordero(s) and Mesa showing that this year.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DEF » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:39 am

I'd take Derrick Lee. He's always been a good second-half hitter and he's really come alive the last month or so.

What? As long as we're comparing apples and oranges I figured it was OK to throw a grapefruit in there. :-D
"I'm telling ya, he jumped us. Gloves off, stick down, no warning. He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names. But Dave was there."

"Dave's a killer."

"Yeah, Dave's a killer."

"Dave's a mess."
DEF
College Coach
College Coach

Postby G-Man » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:12 am

LBJackal wrote:
G-Man wrote:Lidge on the other hand seems to be a prime candidate for overuse and may tire down the stretch.

I think this is over-looked a lot. Even last year people were saying he's being used far too often. He pitched 85 innings last year and is on pace for 93 this year. For a RP, especially a power pitcher like Lidge, that's too much.

Last year August and September were his 2 worst months; selling high after the AS break isn't a bad idea.

the interesting thing is that the astros MUST have realized that by moving dotel, lidge's workload would undoubtedly increase. that is why it is such a luxury to have a stud setup guy, allowing you to play matchups efficiently without abusing your most trustworthy arm in the pen. I would certainly agree with LBJackal that looking into selling high on lidge might not be a bad idea. plus there is always the chance that the stros realize the same thing and acquire a closer, allowing lidge to setlle back into his setup role.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers